Cardiorespiratory physiotherapists assist patients with cardiovascular and respiratory problems. These difficulties may be as a result of long standing disease, e.g. asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), surgery or a condition requiring a stay in intensive care. The cardiorespiratory team provides care 24/7 to a wide range of in-patients across many specialties and a Monday to Friday service to out-patients.
Each patient will receive a thorough holistic assessment and be given an individualised treatment programme. The aims of treatment are to:
- facilitate airways clearance (removal of excessive secretions)
- reduce work of breathing
- promote self management through advice and education
- optimise mobility and functional independence
The cardiorespiratory physiotherapy team provides extensive out-patient services including:
- pulmonary rehabilitation which promotes health and well being through advice, education and exercise for people with long term breathing problems
- cardiac rehabilitation
- disordered breathing syndrome (hyperventilation syndrome)
- airway clearance techniques including postural drainage
- ambulatory oxygen assessment
There is a system of “blanket” referral for in-patients, this means that the patients on each ward are considered on a daily basis, and their need for physiotherapy is assessed.
We accept cardiorespiratory physiotherapy out-patient & pulmonary rehabilitation referrals from medical consultants at the hospital and Camden PCT GPs including self-referral.
The therapy office is situated on the 7th floor of the Royal Free Hospital.
Monday - Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm.
|Lauren Geddes |
||Tel: 020 7794 0500 bleep 1545 |