The ophthalmology service is based on a hub and spoke model based around the Royal Free Hospital. There are out-patient clinics at the Royal Free, Edgware and Barnet hospitals with day-case surgery on each of the sites. The in-patient beds are sited at the Royal Free and this is also the site for emergencies out of hours.
Ophthalmologists see, diagnose and treat all problems that occur within two centimetres of the pupil. This includes all red and painful eye problems, visual problems, double vision and squint problems, children’s eye services, eyelid problems, neurological eye problems and trauma.
We have specialists at the RFH in the following areas:
- Cataract surgery - Mr Hugo Henderson, Mr Jonathan Jagger, Miss Clare Davey, Mr Martin Harris, Miss Jenny Forbes, Miss Susanne Althauser, Mr Riaz Asaria, Mr Vik Sharma, Miss Bola Odufuwa
- Age related macular degeneration - Mr Martin Harris, Dr Pauline Wilson, Mr Riaz Azaria, Miss Clare Davey
- Oculoplastic, orbital and lacrimal surgery - Mr Hugo Henderson
- Diabetic eye disease - Mr Jonathan Jagger, Miss Clare Davey, Mr Martin Harris and Mr Riaz Asaria
- External eye disease - Miss Jenny Forbes
- Paediatrics - Miss Joanna Lawson, Mr Saurabh Jain, Miss Bola Odufuwa
- HIV and eye disease - Dr Pauline Wilson
- Neuroophthalmology - Dr Desmond Kidd and Dr Pauline Wilson
- Glaucoma - Mr Vik Sharma, Mr Martin Harris, Mr Jonathan Jagger, Miss Bola Odufuwa
- Medical Eye diseases - Miss Clare Davey
- Vitreoretinal surgery - Mr Riaz Asaria, Mr Tim Fallon
In addition there are nurse-led clinics by Mrs Mags Balfour and her team in glaucoma and diabetic retinal screening. Their names and contact details are:
- Mags Balfour - lead nurse specialist practice ophthalmology bleep 71-2338
- Maria Jamei - clinical nurse specialist bleep 71-2073
- Mercy Arthur - ophthalmic sister/practitioner bleep 71-2481
Services are provided at the Royal Free Hospital, Edgware Hospital, Barnet Hospital.
Making an appointment
Appointments can be made following a referral from a GP, and in the future through the choose and book system. Tertiary referrals are also available. Emergencies are seen in the accident and emergency department at the Royal Free Hospital.
||020 7794 0500 extension 35283|
Fax: 020 7472 6841