TThe ophthalmology service is based on a hub and spoke model based around the Royal Free Hospital. There are out-patient clinics at the Royal Free, Edgware Community and Barnet hospitals with day-case surgery on each of the sites and also at the Whittington Hospital. The in-patient beds are sited at the Royal Free and this is also the site for emergencies out of hours.
Ophthalmologists see, diagnose and treat all problems that occur within two centimetres of the pupil. This includes all red and painful eye problems, visual problems, double vision and squint problems, children's eye services, eyelid problems, neurological eye problems and trauma.
We have specialists at the RFH in the following areas:
- Age related macular degeneration - Mr Riaz Azaria, Mr Martin Harris
- Barnet adult community service - Jenny Forbes
- Cataract surgery - Miss Susanne Althauser, Mr Riaz Asaria, Miss Jenny Forbes, Mr Martin Harris, Mr Hugo Henderson, Mr Jonathan Jagger, Miss Bola Odufuwa, Mr Milind Sawant, Mr Vik Sharma,
- Corneal - Miss Jenny Forbes
- Diabetic eye disease - Miss Susanne Althauser, Mr Jonathan Jagger, Mr Martin Harris, Mr Riaz Asaria
- Glaucoma - Mr Martin Harris, Mr Jonathan Jagger, Miss Bola Odufuwa, Mr Vik Sharma
- Neuro-ophthalmology - Dr Desmond Kidd
- Oculoplastic, orbital and lacrimal surgery - Mr Hugo Henderson
- Paediatrics - Mr Saurabh Jain, Miss Joanna Lawson, Miss Bola Odufuwa
- Vitreoretinal surgery - Mr Riaz Asaria, Mr Tim Fallon, Mr Chien Wong
In addition there are a team of orthoptists and nurses who work with the doctors and run specialist clinics and diagnostic services. Their names and contact details are:
- Ian Stafford - lead nurse
- Safina Rashid - head of orthoptist and optometry services
Services are provided at Barnet Hospital, Edgware Community Hospital, the Royal Free Hospital and the Whittington Hospital.
Making an appointment
Appointments can be made following a referral from a GP, and in the future through the choose and book system. Tertiary referrals are also available. Emergencies are seen in the accident and emergency department at the Royal Free Hospital.