|Royal Free Hospital
School Of Medicine
In 1874 a group of women led by Sophia Jex-Blake established the London School of Medicine for Women, in a small house off Brunswick Square. Three years later the Royal Free Hospital was persuaded to open its wards to the students, enabling women to qualify as doctors in Britain under the same terms as men for the first time. The school officially became the London (Royal Free Hospital) School of Medicine for Women in 1898. When the first two men entered the school in 1947, it was renamed the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine.
The Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine merged with University College London in 1998 to form a new school, the Royal Free and University College Medical School.
Further details about records of the medical school and women in medicine held at the Royal Free Hospital Archives can be found by searching the web-site of the Genesis project.