Breastfeeding is well established as one of the key determinants of infant and maternal health.
Breastfeeding is good for your baby as:
- breast milk is the only natural food designed for your baby
- breastfeeding protects your baby from infections and diseases
- breast milk is the right temperature for your baby
- breastfeeding can build a strong physical and emotional bond between you and your baby.
Breastfeeding is good for mums as:
- breastfeeding lowers your risk of breast and ovarian cancer
- breastfeeding naturally uses up to 500 calories a day
- breast milk is free and available whenever and wherever your baby needs a feed
- breastfeeding can help to build a strong physical and emotional bond between you and your baby
- breastfeeding can give you a great sense of achievement.
We provide a comprehensive range of workshops for women around infant feeding. Please ask your midwife for information.
UNICEF and the World Health Organization have created a range of helpful videos on breastfeeding as part of the Baby Friendly Initiative.
The Baby Friendly Initiative
The Baby Friendly Initiative was set up in 1992 by the World Health Organisation and UNICEF to recognise hospitals that enable mothers to make an informed choice about infant feeding and to be supported in that choice. We are Stage 2 baby friendly accredited and are currently working towards Stage 3 accreditation.
Find out more about the Baby Friendly Initiative.
Sparkle like Markle!
As a new models of care vanguard, the Royal Free London is at the forefront of taking the NHS into a brighter futu… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
Cape Town ward staff are celebrating the royal wedding too! They had a party with staff and patients joinng in the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
Congratulations to Harry and Meghan on their big day and to the brides who will benefit from wedding dresses donate… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
Want to find out more about clinical research? Join us on Thursday 31 May for our Research and Development Open Day… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…