The neurological rehabilitation centre (NRC) has a comprehensive community and out-patient service which offers rehabilitation and condition management through individual 1:1 or group intervention. The service is delivered by our specialist, multidisciplinary community neurological conditions management team (CNCMT).
The CNCMT also supports over 500 patients with progressive neurological conditions on a long term conditions register; every patient receives a minimum of one review per year with some receiving ongoing case management to support them to live in the community.
The team includes occupational therapists, physiotherapists, speech and language therapists, dietitians, rehabilitation assistants, a multiple sclerosis clinical nurse specialist, neuropsychologist, continuing healthcare occupational therapists, consultant neurologists and the only community based specialist vocational rehabilitation service in London.
Referrals can be made by any health and social care professional.
Self-referral: Once known to the team, individuals may self refer into the service if they require further intervention.
Referrals will be considered for people who:
- are registered with a Barnet GP*
- are 18 years or over
- have provided consent for referral
- have a neurological condition – eg multiple sclerosis (MS), motor neurone disease, cerebral palsy, acquired brain injury, spinal cord injury, ataxia
- require assessment and/or therapy intervention
- require monitoring via the long term conditions (LTC) register
- we do not see people who have had a stroke or idiopathic parkinson’s disease (unless for vocational Rehabilitation)
*we can consider out-of-area referrals in negotiation with local services and local commissioners.
We aim to work together to support individuals to manage their neurological condition and provide a range of therapy intervention programmes that are tailored to each patient. The length and intensity of intervention varies according to the patients needs - from a single session to a more intensive episode of multi disciplinary intervention over a number of weeks. Sessions take place at home, in the local community or at the Royal Free London neurological rehabilitation centre (NRC).