Our nursing team is made up of highly skilled specialist nurses that care for and support patients with prostate and bladder cancer, as well as patients with non-cancerous urology conditions. Our nursing service provides specialist support, advice and education for patients and carers in the out-patient and in-patient setting.
Our weekly nurse-led bladder and prostate cancer clinics include a:
- diagnostics clinic
- telephone results clinic
- intravesical treatment clinic
- flexible cystoscopy clinic.
We also run a prostate cancer support service called The Men’s Den for patients with prostate cancer.
Our clinical nurse specialists
Barnet Hospital and Chase Farm Hospital
Alison Palmer, clinical nurse specialist for bladder cancer (available Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm): 07852 562472
Tim Murray, clinical nurse specialist for prostate cancer (available Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm): 07852 428320
Josie Staunton, clinical nurse specialist for prostate cancer (available Monday, Thursday and Friday, 9am-5pm): 020 8375 1916 or 1920 (secretary)
Royal Free Hospital
Shelley Coombs, lead nurse urology and clinical nurse specialist for bladder cancer (available Monday to Friday, 8am-4pm): 020 7317 7629 (voicemail activated if out of the office)
Fionnuala McCarthy, urology diagnostics clinical nurse specialist (available Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm): 020 7794 0500 x36329 (voicemail activated if out of the office)
General urology service
Our general urology nursing service specialises in the management of a number or urological conditions including urinary incontinence, catheter management, erectile dysfunction and the treatment of painful bladder syndrome. Our weekly clinics are:
- urinary incontinence clinic for the management of lower urinary tract symptoms including stress and urge incontinence
- trial without catheter (TWOC) clinic to support with catheter related management including removal/re-insertion of indwelling or suprapubic catheters and difficult catheterisation
- urodynamic study clinic for the investigation of bladder function and confirmation of bladder outlet obstruction
- percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation (PTNS) clinic for treatment for patients with detrusor over activity
- intravesical therapy clinic for medical and holistic treatment of patients who need bladder instillations due to painful bladder syndrome
- post prostate surgery clinic of follow up appointments to support you after your prostate surgery
- andrology clinic for the management of erectile dysfunction for men
Contact (Royal Free Hospital only): Marika Rees or Svetlana O’Brien, clinical nurse specialists for benign urology (available Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm): 020 7794 0500 x36357 (voicemail activated if out of the office)
Sparkle like Markle!
Brian Jarman's work was instrumental in creating a distinction between GPs in deprived areas and those in more affl… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
As a new models of care vanguard, the Royal Free London is at the forefront of taking the NHS into a brighter futu… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
Cape Town ward staff are celebrating the royal wedding too! They had a party with staff and patients joinng in the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
Congratulations to Harry and Meghan on their big day and to the brides who will benefit from wedding dresses donate… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…