Consultant respiratory and general physician
FRCP, MSc Immunology, PhD
PA/secretary phone number: 020 8216 4986
PA/secretary email address: email@example.com
Dr Vancheeswaran is a respiratory physician with a subspecialty interest in both airways disease and interstitial lung disease (ILD). She is part of the BTS COPD specialist advisory group and is a British Lung Foundation patient ambassador. Dr Vancheeswaran covers the Barnet COPD service and provides integrated care input to the community. This includes consultant cover for the hospital at home services and the community clinics. Dr Vancheeswaran leads the ILD service which is networked with UCLH; she has set up a large service with over 1,200 patients since 2006. This is a specialist service which provides the entire pathway for diagnosis and management of the spectrum of ILD.
She is a general physician who provides acute care for the general take and in patients in both the respiratory and the acute medical wards.
Dr Vancheeswaran’s other skills include management of difficult asthma, cough and sleep.
1. R Abdullah · A N Tavare · A Creamer · D Creer · R Vancheeswaran · S S Hare
Lung cancer tissue diagnosis in poor lung function: Addressing the ongoing percutaneous lung biopsy FEV1 paradox using Heimlich valve. 2016; Thorax
2. G Greenhall, R Vancheeswaran, ABurns, P Bass, A D Salama. Macrolide Therapy and Alveolar Hemorrhage Secondary to Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis 2015; Journal of Vasculitis
3. A N Tavare · D D Creer · S Khan · R Vancheeswaran · S S Hare
Ambulatory percutaneous lung biopsy with early discharge and Heimlich valve management of iatrogenic pneumothorax: More for less. 2015; Thorax.
4. H Rahman, P Dupont, M Cohen, R Vancheeswaran. A case of profound hypercalcemia and acute kidney injury. BMJ 2013: 347.
5. Bloom, CI; Graham, CM; Berry, MPR; Rozakeas, F; Redford, PS; Wang, Y; Xu, Z; Wilkinson, KA; Wilkinson, RJ; Kendrick, Y; Devouassoux, G; Ferry, T; Miyara, M; Bouvry, D; Valeyre, D; Gorochov, G; Blankenship, D; Saadatian, M; Vanhems, P; Beynon, H; Vancheeswaran, R; Wickremasinghe, M; Chaussabel, D; Banchereau, J; Pascual, V; Ho, L-P; Lipman, M and O'Garra, A (2013). Transcriptional blood signatures distinguish pulmonary tuberculosis, pulmonary sarcoidosis, pneumonias and lung cancers. PLOS ONE 8; e70630.
6. Vancheeswaran R, Morgan CM, Wells AU. Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis –investigation and management. A review. Clinical Pulmonary Medicine. 2006, in press
7. Hunzelmann N, Risteli J, Risteli L, Sacher C, Vancheeswaran R, Black CM, Krieg T. Circulating type I collagen degradation products: a new serum marker for clinical severity in patients with scleroderma? Br J Dermatol. 1998 Dec; 139(6):1020-5.
8. Abraham, DJ, Vancheeswaran, R, Dashwood, MR, Rajkumar, VS, Pantelides, P, Shi-Wen, X, DuBois, RM, Black, CM. Increased levels of endothelin-1 and differential endothelin type A and B receptor expression in scleroderma-associated fibrotic lung disease. Am J Pathology. 1997, 151(3): 831-841.
9. Jablonska S, Blaszczyk. Childhood-onset scleroderma from a dermatologist's perspective: comment on the article by Vancheeswaran et al. Arthritis Rheum. 1997 Jun; 40(6):1183-4.
10. Vancheeswaran, R, Black C.M, David J, Hasson N, Harper J, Atherton D, Black CM, Woo P. Childhood onset scleroderma. Is it different from adult onset disease? Arthritis and Rheumatism. 1996; 39 (6): 1041- 1049.
11. Xu SW, Vancheeswaran R, Bou-Gharios G, O'Hare M, Olsen I, Black CM, Abraham DJ. Normal human and SSc fibroblasts retain typical phenotypic and functional characteristics following SV40-transfection. Experimental Cell Research. 1995; 220: 407-414.
12. Bruckdorfer KR, Hillary JB, Bunce T, Vancheeswaran R, Black CM. Increased susceptibility to oxidation of low-density lipoproteins isolated from patients with systemic sclerosis. Arthritis Rheum. 1995 Aug; 38(8):1060-7.
13. Gendi NS, Welsh KI, Van Venrooij WJ, Vancheeswaran R, Gilroy J, Black CM. HLA type as a predictor of mixed connective tissue disease differentiation. Ten-year clinical and immunogenetic followup of 46 patients. Arthritis Rheum. 1995 Feb; 38(2):259-66.
14. Bou-Gharios G, Osman J, Atherton A, Monaghan P, Vancheeswaran R, Black CM, Olsen IO. Expression of ectopeptidases in scleroderma. Ann Rheum Dis. 1995 Feb; 54(2):111-6.
15. Shi-Wen X, Panesar M, Vancheeswaran R, Mason J, Haskard DO, Black CM, Olsen IO, Abraham DJ. Expression and shedding of ICAM-1 and LFA-3 by SSc and normal fibroblasts. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 1994; 37: 1689-1697
16. Vancheeswaran R, Magoulas T, Efrat G, Penny RM, Black CM. Circulating endothelin-1 levels suggest different pathogenic mechanisms in systemic sclerosis (SSc) subsets. Journal of Rheumatology 1994; 21:1838-1844
17. Vancheeswaran R, Azam A, Black CM, Dashwood MR. Localisation of endothelin-1 and it's binding sites in scleroderma skin. Journal of Rheumatology 1994; 21: 1268-1276
18. Higley H, Persichitte K, Chu S, Waegell W, Vancheeswaran R, Black CM. Immunocytochemical localization and serologic detection of transforming growth factor beta 1. Association with type I procollagen and inflammatory cell markers in diffuse and limited systemic sclerosis, morphea, and Raynaud's phenomenon. Arthritis Rheum. 1994 Feb; 37(2):278-88.
19. Stevens W, Vancheeswaran R, Black CM. Alpha interferon (Roferon-A) in the treatment of diffuse systemic sclerosis: A pilot study. Br. J. Rheum. 31: 683-689, 1992.
20. Endeley EM, Patel RV, Vancheeswaran R. Hydatid disease of spleen treated by cyst enucleation and splenic salvage. J Pediatr Surg. 1988 May; 23(5):506