We are pleased to announce that Willmott Dixon has been appointed to deliver contract 1 of the emergency department redevelopment and work is due to start on the 1 December 2014.
The majority of the work in December will involve the demolition of vacated areas at the front of the building and access to the emergency department will not be affected.
Contract 1 of the emergency department project will create the following facilities:
- New entrance, waiting area and reception
- New urgent care centre
- Paediatric emergency department
- Ambulatory emergency care unit (including TREAT - Triage Rapid Elderly Assessment Team)
- Temporary George Qvist ward
- New staff room, staff changing rooms and office suite
The work will be undertaken in three main phases to ensure that the hospital can continue to function as usual.
Three further phases of work will follow the completion of contract 1 to redevelop and expand the remaining emergency department (contract 2) to provide a new 'majors' area, rapid assessment and treatment area, diagnostic department with two x-ray machines and a CT scanner, resus area and 30 bed 23-hour assessment ward.
Image: Artist's impression of the new paediatric emergency department.