Clinical Service Lead for Pain
MBChB, BSc, FRCA
Phone number: 020 8216 5238
Dr Gubbay has enjoyed working at the Trust for several years through managing both acute and chronic pain conditions, and in anaesthesia. For pain, he specialises in head and neck pains including whiplash injuries, spine and musculoskeletal pain including rotator cuff injuries and sciatica, abdominal pain, and pelvic and abdominal visceral pain. He also has an interest in nerve pain, phantom pain, trigeminal neuralgia, pain after shingles and CRPS. From his research experience, Dr Gubbay has interest in opioids rationalisation for non-malignant pain.
Through his passion for education, Dr Gubbay is both a clinical and educational supervisor for anaesthetic trainees undertaking their pain modules, whilst being actively involved in undergraduate and post graduate teaching. He also lectures locally, nationally, and internationally and has been published widely in anaesthesia and pain journals.
Dr Gubbay enjoys spending his leisure time with his large family. His other interests include photography and music.
- Williams JE, Peacock JL, Gubbay A, Kuo PY, Ellard R, Gupta R, Riley J, Sauzet O, Raftery J, Yao GL, Ross JR. Routine screening for pain combined with a pain treatment protocol in head and neck cancer: a randomized controlled trial. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 2015 Oct;115(4):621-8.
- Stasiowska M, Gubbay A, Ng S, Cregg R. Postoperative pain management. British Journal of Health Medicine (London) 2015 Oct;76(10):570-5.
- Pattison N, Brown M, Gubbay A, Peacock J, Ross J, Chapman S, Sauzet O, Williams J. Towards a pain free hospital: an in-depth qualitative analysis of the pain experiences of head and neck cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy. British Journal of Pain (online before print) 2049463715599995, first published on September 23, 2015.
- Cregg R, Russo G, Gubbay A, Branford R, Sato H. Pharmacogenetics of Analgesic Drugs. British Journal of Pain, November 2013 vol. 7 no. 4 189-208.
- Farquhar-Smith P & Gubbay A. Tramadol and acetaminophen combination for chronic non-cancer pain. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, November 2013, Vol. 14, No. 16 , Pages 2297-2304
- J Yen, A Gubbay, S Kandikattu, S Chapman, J Williams. The Prevalence And Management Of Pain In Gynaecological Malignancy Within The Outpatient Setting. The Internet Journal of Pain, Symptom Control and Palliative Care, July 2012 Volume 9 Number 1.
- P Kuo, J Yen, A Gubbay, S Chapman, S Kandikattu, I Sohanpal, R Gupta, J Williams. The Prevalence of Pain In Patients Attending Melanoma Outpatient Clinics. The Internet Journal of Pain, Symptom Control and Palliative Care, Jan 2012 Volume 9 Number 1.