Consultant in critical care medicine and staff governor
MBBS MD FRCA FRCP EDIC FFICM
Phone number: 020 3758 2000 ext 24532/24534
Email address: email@example.com
Dr Agarwal is a consultant in critical care at Royal Free since 2003. His clinical and research interests are critical care issues in hepatology and liver transplantation, acute kidney injury and extracorporeal liver and kidney support. He examines for European diploma in intensive care and fellowship in intensive care medicine.
Banwari has worked at the Royal Free Hospital since 2003. He was elected to the council in October 2017 as a staff Governor and as such is passionate about staff wellbeing and satisfaction which he believes lie at the heart of good patient care.
Dr Agarwal also represents the council of governors at Clinical Standards and Innovation Committee meeting.
- Agarwal B, Davenport A. Difficulties in diagnosing acute kidney injury post liver transplantation using serum creatinine based diagnostic criteria. Accepted by World J Gastroenterol.
- Rajiv Jalan, Faouzi Saliba, Marco Pavesi, Alex Amoros, Richard Moreau, Pere Ginès, Eric Levesque, Francois Durand, Paolo Angeli, Paolo Caraceni, Corinna Hopf, Carlo Alessandria, Ezequiel Rodriguez, Pablo Solis-Muñoz, Wim Laleman, Jonel Trebicka, Stefan Zeuzem, Thierry Gustot, Rajeshwar Mookerjee, Laure Elkrief, German Soriano, Joan Cordoba, Filippo Morando, Alexander Gerbes, Banwari Agarwal, DidierSamuel, Mauro Bernardi, Vicente Arroyo for the CANONIC study investigators of the EASL-CLIF Consortium*. DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF A PROGNOSTIC SCORE TO PREDICT MORTALITY IN PATIENTS WITH ACUTE ON CHRONIC LIVER FAILURE. J Hepatol 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2014.06.012
- Eleni Theocharidou, Giulia Pieri, Ali Omar Mohammad, Michelle Cheung, Evangelos Cholongitas, Banwari Agarwal, Andrew K. Burroughs. The Royal Free Hospital score: a calibrated prognostic model for patients with cirrhosis admitted to intensive care unit. Comparison with current models and CLIF-SOFA score. Am J Gasrtoenterol. 2014 Apr;109(4):554-62
- Davenport A, Agarwal B, Wright G, Mantzoukis K, Dimitrova R, Davar J, Vasianopoulou P, Burroughs AK. Can non-invasive measurements aid clinical assessment of volume in patients with cirrhosis? World J Hepatol. 2013 Aug 27;5(8):433-8
- Agarwal B, Gatt A, Riddell A, Wright G, Chowdary P, Jalan R, Burroughs AK, Davenport A. Haemostasis in patients with acute kidney injury secondary to acute liver failure. Kidney Int. 2013 Jul;84(1):158-63
- Agarwal B, Walecka A, Shaw S & Davenport A. Is parenteral phosphate replacement in the intensive care unit safe? Therapeutic Apheresis and Dialysis 4 JUL 2013 DOI: 10.1111/1744-9987.12053
- Evangelos Cholongitas, Eleni Theocharidou, Alex Betrosian, Steve Shaw, David Patch, James O'Beirne, Banwari Agarwal, Andrew K Burroughs. Comparison of the sequential organ failure assessment score with the King's College Hospital criteria and the model for end-stage liver disease score for the prognosis of acetaminophen induced acute liver failure. Liver Transpl 2012; 18:405-412
- Evangelos Cholongitas, Banwari Agarwal, Nikolaos Antoniadis, Andrew Burroughs. Patients with cirrhosis admitted to an Intensive Care Unit. J Hepatol 2012, Vol, 57, Issue 1, Pages 230-231
- R. José, P. Pfeffer, I. McDonald, S. Shaw, B. Padate, C. McNamara, C. Kibbler, B Agarwal. Outcomes and patterns of infections in patients with underlying haematological malignancies admitted to intensive care. BJA 2012, vol. 109, issue 2, 291-292
- Agarwal B, Wright G, Gatt A, Riddell A, Vemala V, Mallett S, Chowdary P, Davenport A, Jalan R, Burroughs A. Evaluation of coagulation abnormalities in acute liver failure. J Hepatol 2012 Oct;57(4):780-6
- G Privitera, B Agarwal, R Jalan. Acute Liver Failure: Pathophysiologic basis, and the current and emerging therapies. Accepted by European J Med.
- Giulia Pieri, Banwari Agarwal, Andrew Burroughs. C-reactive protein and bacterial infections in cirrhosis. Ann Gastroenterol. 2014;27(2):113-120
- Brian J Hogan, Sakhawat Rahman, James P O’Beirne, Andrew K Burroughs, Banwari Agarwal. Liver and Pancreatic Transplantation, Anaesth Intensive Care, June 2012, vol. 13, issue 6, 292-7
- Razonable RR, Findlay JY, O'Riordan A, Burroughs SG, Ghobrial RM, Agarwal B, Davenport A, Gropper M. Critical care issues in liver transplantation. Liver Transpl 2011; 17(5): 511-27
- B Agarwal, N Davies, R Jalan, Extracorporeal liver support devices, Oxford Textbook of Critical Care 2nd Ed. - In press
- F. Saffioti, E. Theocharidou, J. O’Beirne, B. Agarwal, D. Thorburn, G. Jeffrey, A.K. Burroughs. DOES PRE-TRANSPLANT ADRENAL FUNCTION HAVE AN IMPACT ON POST-TRANSPLANT RENAL FUNCTION? The International Liver Congress 2014, EASL, London.
- N. Weiss, M. Rosselli, S. Mouri, D. Yu, D. Galanaud, B. Agarwal, D. Thabut, R. Jalan. QUANTITATION AND LOCATION OF THE SEVERITY OF BRAIN EDEMA IN PATIENTS WITH ACUTE ON CHRONIC LIVER FAILURE AND HEPATIC ENCEPHALOPATHY. The International Liver Congress 2014, EASL, London.
- R. Jalan, M. Pavesi, F. Saliba, A. Amoros, E. Levesque, R. Moreau, P. Gines, F. Durand, P. Angeli, B. Agarwal, C. Alessandria, W. Laleman, J. Trebicka, D. Samuel, S. Zeuzem, T. Gustot, J. Cordoba, M. Domenicali, A. Gerbes, J. Wendon, M. Bernardi, V. Arroyo, for the CANONIC Study Investigators of the EASL-CLIF Consortium. VALIDATION OF THE CLIF-CONSORTIUM (CLIF-C) SCORE TO PREDICT MORTALITY OF PATIENTS WITH ACUTE-ON-CHRONIC LIVER FAILURE (ACLF) IN AN EXTERNAL COHORT AND FOR SEQUENTIAL MEASUREMENTS. The International Liver Congress 2014, EASL. London.
- K.C.L. Lee, L. Baker, G. Stanzani, H. Alibhai, Y.M. Chang, P. Leckie, C. Palacios Jimenez, P. Giordano, B. Agarwal, R. Mookerjee, R. Jalan, N. Davies. ALBUMIN EXCHANGE AND ENDOTOXIN REMOVAL USING THE NOVEL UCL-LIVER DIALYSIS DEVICE (UCL-LDD) PROLONGS SURVIVAL IN ACETAMINOPHEN-INDUCED ACUTE LIVER FAILURE (ALF). The International Liver Congress 2014, EASL,London
- Nicolas Weiss, Matteo Rosselli, Sarah Mouri, Dominic Yu, Damien Galanaud, Banwari Agarwal, Dominique Thabut, Rajiv Jalan. Quantitation and location of the severity of brain edema in patients with acute on chronic liver failure and hepatic encephalopathy. AASLD 2013, Washington DC
- Rajiv Jalan, Marco Pavesi, Faouzi Saliba, Alex Amorós, Eric Levesque, Richard Moreau, Pere Gines, Francois Durand, Paolo Angeli, Banwari Agarwal, Carlo Alessandria, Wim Laleman, Jonel Trebicka, Didier Samuel, Stefan Zeuzem, Thierry Gustot, Juan Cordoba, Marco Domenicali, Alexander L. Gerbes, Julia Wendon, Mauro Bernardi, Vicente Arroyo. Validation of the CLIF-CONSORTIUM (CLIF-C) SCORE to predict mortality of patients with Acute on Chronic Liver Failure (ACLF) in an external cohort and for sequential measurements. AASLD 2013, Washington DC
- Eleni Theocharidou, Giulia Pieri, Evangelos Cholongitas, Banwari Agarwal, Andrew K. Burroughs. Validation of the CLIF- SOFA and other prognostic scores for patients with cirrhosis admitted to intensive care unit (ICU). AASLD 2013, Washington DC
- Karla C. Lee, Luisa Baker, Susan Mallett, Anne Riddell, Paola Giordano, Pamela Leckie, Hatim Alibhai, Pratima Chowdary, Rajeshwar Mookerjee, Nathan Davies, Banwari Agarwal, Rajiv Jalan. Longitudinal studies of coagulation profile in the systemic and portal circulations in a porcine model of acetaminophen induced acute liver failure show that a hypercoaguable state precedes a hypocoaguable state and is associated with endotoxaemia. AASLD 2013, Washington DC
- THE CLIF-CONSORTIUM SCORE PREDICTS MORTALITY MORE ACCURATELY THAN THE MELD AND MELD-SODIUM SCORES IN PATIENTS HOSPITALIZED WITH DECOMPENSATED CIRRHOSIS WITH AND WITHOUT ACUTE-ON-CHRONIC-LIVER FAILURE (ACLF).
- M. Pavesi; R. Jalan; A. Amoros; R. Moreau, P. Ginès, F. Durand; P. Angeli; P. Caraceni; E. Rodriguez; B. Agarwal; C. Hopf; C. Alessandria; P.Solis-Muñoz; W.Laleman; J. Trebicka; F.Saliba; S.Zeuzem; A. Albillos; T. Gustot; R. Mookerjee; L. Elkrief D. Benten; J.L.Montero; M Vega Catalina; M. Concepción; J.Cordoba; A. McCormick; R. Stauber; W. Vogel; A.de Gottardi; M.Peck-Radosavljevic; H. Van Vlierberghe; J. Sperl; H. Groenbaek; C. Mortensen; M. J Coenraad; F. Morando; M. Domenicali; A.L.Gerbes; A. Risso; E.Garcia, C.Deulofeu; M. Bernardi; V. Arroyo
- Late-breaking abstract, The International Liver Congress 2013, EASL, Amsterdam
- C-REACTIVE PROTEIN, INFECTIONS AND OUTCOME IN ACUTE-ON-CHRONIC LIVER FAILURE. G Pieri, E Theocharidou, E Dhesi, M Cheung, C Kibbler, R Jalan, B Agarwal, A Burroughs. EASL Monothematic Congress, Infections in cirrhosis, 2013, Barcelona
- Prothrombin time and severity of inflammation when added to CURB-65 score significantly improve the predictive value of the latter in identifying ICU non-survivors in patients presenting with severe community acquired pneumonia; an association between inflammation, coagulation and end-organ damage. R José, A Mohammed, J Goldring, B Agarwal. European Respiratory Society Annual Congress 2013, Barcelona
- J O’Brien, O Ali, L Noirette, G Wright, A Burroughs, B Agarwal, R Jalan. In Acute-On-Chronic Liver Failure patients admitted to Intensive Care, the severity of systemic inflammatory response at admission and subsequent development of nosocomial infections is associated with worsening outcomes and increased mortality. Poster, The 63rd Annual meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD), Boston, Nov 2012
- G Wright, B Agarwal, A Gatt, A Ridell, R Jalan, A Burroughs, A Davenport. In patients with Acute Liver Failure requiring hemofiltration, increased systemic inflammation and endothelial activation is associated with prothrombotic potential evidenced by thrombosed hemofiltration circuits. Poster, AASLD, Boston, Nov 2012
- L Hughes, G Wright, O Ali, L Noirette, R Jalan, A Burroughs, B Agarwal. Blood bourne infections with enteric organisms are common in patients with Acute on Chronic Liver Failure than Acute Liver Failure. Poster, AASLD, Boston, Nov 2012
- E Thalassinos, B Agarwal, C McNamara, A Burroughs. Thrombocytopenia in cirrhosis is associated with increased mean platelet volume resulting in conserved platelet biomass. Poster, AASLD, Boston, Nov 2012
- E Theocharidou, G Wright, B Agarwal, A Burroughs. An accurate prognostic model for patients with cirrhosis admitted to intensive care unit. AASLD, Boston, Nov 2012
- J Bramall, B Hogan, B Agarwal, A Walecka. Outcome of the very elderly admitted to intensive care with community acquired pneumonia. Poster, International conference of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine, Lisbon, Oct 2012
- B O’Farrell, A Davenport, C Laing, S Shaw, B Agarwal. Potential cost saving implications of converting continuous filtration to intermittent haemodialysis in suitable patients on intensive care. Poster, International conference of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine, Lisbon, Oct 2012
- R Baumber, M Carrington, A K Burroughs, B Agarwal. Recognition and management of haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis on the ICU: a case series of 26 patients. Poster, International symposium of Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, 2012, Brussels