Consultant medical oncologist
MRCP, BSc, DPhil
Email address: email@example.com
PA/secretary phone number: 020 7794 0500 ext 38364/020 8216 4359
PA/secretary email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: 020 8216 4409
Private practice phone number: 020 7317 2680
Private practice email address: email@example.com
I qualified in medicine at Leeds University Medical School, where I also gained a Bachelor’s degree in microbiology and immunology. I completed my junior doctor training at Guys and St. Thomas’ Hospitals and University College Hospital before undertaking my oncology training at The Royal Free and University College Hospitals in London.
My DPhil research was undertaken at Oxford University, at the Welcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, and was funded by Cancer Research UK and HCA. My research investigated the role that genetic mutations in genes controlling cellular metabolism play in the development of cancer, with the aim of identifying new therapeutic targets in this area. I continue to be involved in clinical research and clinical trials aimed at identifying new cancer therapies, with a focus on gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary malignancies. I also maintain an interest in cancer genetics and genetic testing for hereditary gastrointestinal cancers, with a particular focus on hereditary colorectal cancer.
I have published several peer-reviewed papers in journals such as the British Journal of Cancer and Lancet Oncology.
My clinical work focuses on the management of patients with gastric, oesophageal, colorectal, pancreatic, liver and biliary tract cancers and neuroendocrine tumours using chemotherapy, targeted therapy and immunotherapies. I am the clinical lead for neuroendocrine tumours.
- Brown N, McBain C, Nash S, Hopkins K, Sanghera P, Saran F, Phillips M, Dungey F, Krell D, Jeffries S, Khan I, Smith P, Mulholland P. Multi-Centre randomized phase II study comparing cediranib plus gefitinib with cediranib plus placebo in subjects with recurrent/progressive glioblastoma. PLOS ONE May 2016.
- Krell D, Mulholland P, Stebbing J, Tomlinson I, Bardella C. HOT mutation screening in human glioblastoma. Future Science OA, FSO22, DOI: 10.4155/FSO.15.20 (2015).
- Mulholland P, Krell D, Khan I, McBain C, Patel C, Wanek K, Hopkins K, Jeffries S, Jager R, Smith P, Liu Q, Stupp R, Tomlinson I. AT-43* Multi-centre, randomised double-blind phase II study comparing Cediranib (AZD2171) plus gefitinib (Iressa, ZD1839) with cediranib plus placebo in subjects with recurrent/progressive glioblastoma. Neuro-oncology 16: V8-22. 2014. Doi:10.1093/neuonc/neu237
- Frampton AE, Krell J, Jamieson NB, Gall TM, Giovannetti E, Funel N, Mato Prado M, Krell D, Habib NA, Castellano L, Jiao LR, Stebbing J. microRNAs with prognostic significance in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: a meta-analysis. Eur J Cancer. 2015 Jul; 51(11):1389-404.
- Krell D, Mulholland P, Frampton AE, Krell J, Stebbing J, Bardella C. IDH mutations in tumorigenesis and their potential role as novel therapeutic targets. Future Oncol. 2013 Dec; 9(12): 1923-35
- Krell D, Stebbing J. Aristolochia: The Malignant Truth. Lancet Oncol. 2013 Jan;14(1): 25-6
- Frampton AE, Krell J, Giovannetti E, Krell D, Stebbing J, Castellano L, Jiao LR. Defining a prognostic molecular profile for ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreas highlights known key signaling pathways. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2012 Oct;12(10): 1275-8
- Krell D, Assoku M, Galloway M, Mulholland P, Tomlinson I, Bardella C. Screen for IDH1, IDH2, IDH3, D2HGDH and L2HGDH Mutations in Glioblastoma. PLoS One. 2011; 6(5): e19868
- Miller R, Assoku M, Krell D, Sasieni P, Mulholland P. A Retrospective Analysis of Primary Tumour Histology and Survival in Breast Cancer Patients Developing Symptomatic Brain Metastases Treated with Whole Brain Radiotherapy (WBRT) at Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC). Cancer Research: 2009 Dec; Vol 69, Issue 24, Supplement 3
- Krell J, Harper-Wynne C, Miles D, Misra V, Cleator S, Krell D, Palmieri C. What is the evidence for rechallenging with anthracyclines or taxanes in metastatic breast cancer- A review of the data. J Clin Oncol 27:15s, 2009 (suppl; abstr 1072)
- Krell D, Jones A. Impact of the effective prevention and management of febrile neutropaenia. Br J Cancer. 2009 Sep;101 Suppl 1:S23-6