Dr Indran Balakrishnan
Consultant/honorary senior lecturer in medical microbiology
Phone number: 020 7830 2669
Email address: email@example.com
Dr Balakrishnan chairs the antimicrobial stewardship committee. His research interests include rapid diagnosis of antimicrobial resistance and therapeutic options for infections caused by multiresistant enterobacteriaceae. He is teaching lead for communicable diseases. He is examiner for the Fellowship of the Royal College of Pathologists examinations.
- Balakrishnan I, Johnson MA, Kibbler CC, Gillespie SH.Cryptococcal Cholangitis: A Novel Presentation of Disseminated Cryptococcosis in AIDS.Int J STD AIDS 1997;8(12):785-8
- Balakrishnan I, Baillod RA, Kibbler CC, Gillespie SH.Bacillus cereus Peritonitis in a Patient Being Treated with Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis.Nephrol Dial Transplant 1997;12(11):2447-8
- Cassell J, Balakrishnan I, Samarasinghe D, Mistry P, Prentice HG, Gillespie SH. RP59500 (Quinupristin/dalfopristin): Three Case Reports of its Use in Infection due to Enterococcus faecium. J Infect 1998;36(3):324-7
- Balakrishnan I, Davies AP, Gillespie SH. Bacterial Meningitis. Prescribers’ Journal 1999;39(1):59
- Balakrishnan I, Crook P, Morris R, Gillespie SH. Early Predictors of Mortality in Pneumococcal Bacteraemia. J Infect 2000;40:256-261
- Gillespie SH and Balakrishnan I. Pathogenesis of Pneumococcal Infection. J Med Microbiol 2000;49:1057-1067
- Balakrishnan I and Zumla A: African Trypanosomiasis. In Principles and Practice of Clinical Parasitology. Edited by Gillespie SH and Pearson RD. UK: Wiley; 2001
- Balakrishnan I and Gillespie SH: Vector-borne Parasitic Diseases. In Principles and Practice of Travel Medicine. Edited by Zuckerman J and Zuckerman AJ. UK: Wiley; 2001
- Charalambous BM and Balakrishnan I: Measurement of the Immune Response. In Travellers’ Vaccines. Edited by Jong EJ and Zuckerman J. USA: Decker; 2003
- Balakrishnan I. Streptococcus pneumoniae. In Principles and Practice of Clinical Bacteriology (2nd ed). Edited by Gillespie SH and Hawkey PM. UK: Wiley; 2005
- Balakrishnan I. Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. J Antimicrob Chemother 2007;60:1416
- Naqvi SM, Jenkins C, McHugh TD and Balakrishnan I.Identification of the qnr family in Enterobacteriaceae in clinical practice. J Antimicrob Chemother 2009;63:830-832
- Gupta ND, Smith RE and Balakrishnan I. Clinical efficacy of temocillin. J Antimicrob Chemother 2009;64:431-433
- Livermore DM, Hill RLR, Thompson H, Charlett A, Turton JF, Pike R, Patel BC, Manuel RJ, Gillespie SH, Balakrishnan I, Barrett SP, Cumberland N, Twagira M & C-MRAB Study Group. Antimicrobial Treatment and Clinical Outcome for Infections with Carbapenem- and Multiply-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii around London. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2010;35:19-24.
- Mamoojee Y, Shakoor S, Gorton RL, Sarfo S, Appiah LT, Norman B, Balakrishnan I, Phillips R, Chadwick D. Low seroprevalence of cryptococcal antigenaemia in patients with advanced HIV infection enrolling in an antiretroviral programme in Ghana. Trop Med Int Health 2011;16:53-6.
- Charalambous BM and Balakrishnan I: Measurement of the Immune Response. In Travellers’ Vaccines (2nd Edition). Edited by Zuckerman J and Jong EJ McGraw-Hill Medical 2010.
- Balakrishnan I, Awad-El-Kariem FM, Aali A, Kumari P, Mulla R, Tan B, Brudney D, Ladenheim D, Ghazy A, Khan I, Virgincar N, Iyer S, Carryn S and Van De Velde S. Temocillin use in England: clinical and microbiological efficacies in infections caused by extended-spectrum and/or derepressed AmpC -lactamase producing Enterobacteriaceae. J Antimicrob Chemother 2011;66:2628-2631.
- Balakrishnan I and Hill V. Dealing with urinary tract infection. Pharm J 2011;287:687-690.
- Patel T, Molloy A, Smith R and Balakrishnan I. Successful treatment of Leuconostoc bacteraemia in a neutropenic patient with tigecycline. Infectious Disease Reports 2012;4:124-125.
- Halstead F, Vanstone GL and Balakrishnan I. An evaluation of the Mast D69C AmpC Detection Disc Set for the detection of inducible and derepressed AmpC β-lactamases. J Antimicrob Chemother 2012;67:2303-2304.
- Vanstone GL, Yorgancioglu A, Wilkie L, Mouskos K, Charalambous BM and Balakrishnan I. A real-time multiplex PCR for the rapid detection of type extended spectrum b-lactamases directly from blood cultures. J Med Microbiol 2012;61:1631-1632.
- Hill V and Balakrishnan I. Current treatments for resistant infections. Pharm J 2012;289:527-529.
- Patel T, Dilley R, Williams A, Vanstone GL and Balakrishnan I. Comparison of the Phoenix automated system, the Etest method and broth microdilution in determining temocillin susceptibility of Enterobacteriaceae. J Antimicrob Chemother 2013; 68:1685-1686.
- Balakrishnan I and Smith G. Comment on: The national burden of infections after prostate biopsy in England and Wales: a wake-up call for better prevention. J Antimicrob Chemother 2013;68:2418-2419.
- Vanstone GL, Dilley R, Schwenk S, Williams A and Balakrishnan I. Temocillin disc diffusion susceptibility testing by EUCAST methodology. J Antimicrob Chemother 2013; 68:2688-2689.
- Satta G, Hill V, Lanzman and Balakrishnan I. -Lactam Allergy: clinical implications and costs. Clinical and Molecular Allergy 2013; 11:2.