Clinical lead, aortic surgery
MD, MSc, FRCS(C), FACS
Phone number: 020 7830 2163
Email address: email@example.com
Dr Mastracci is a vascular surgeon with an interest in complex aortic repair. She completed general and vascular surgery training at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, and moved on to a superfellowship in complex aortic repair at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio. Dr Mastracci’s first consultant position was at the Cleveland Clinic, where she also held a position as assistant professor at Case Western Reserve University for seven years. Dr Mastracci moved to the Royal Free London in October 2014 to lead the aortic team.
Dr. Mastracci is a clinical epidemiologist by training and focuses most of her research in clinical outcomes related to disease of the aorta. She has a specific interest in endovascular aneurysm repair, stent graft design and development, the genetics of aortic disease, and the advancement of new intraoperative imaging techniques. Recently Dr Mastracci has partnered with the radiation physics department atthe Royal Free Hospital to improve radiation safety in the field of vascular surgery.
- Vascular Disease Patient Information Page: Abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). Moennich LA, Mastracci TM**. Vascular Medicine 2014 Oct;19(5):421-4.
- The effect of chemotherapy for malignancy on the natural history of aortic aneurysm. Martin ZL, Mastracci TM**, Greenberg RK, Morales JP, Bena J. J Vasc Surg. 2014 Aug 19.
- Outcomes for supra-aortic branch vessel stenting in the treatment of thoracic aortic disease. O'Callaghan A, Mastracci TM**, Greenberg RK, Eagleton MJ, Bena J, Kuramochi Y. J Vasc Surg. 2014 Oct;60(4):914-20.
- Global experience with an inner branched arch endograft. Haulon S, Greenberg RK, Spear R, Eagleton M, Abraham C, Lioupis C, Verhoeven E, Ivancev K, Kölbel T, Stanley B, Resch T, Desgranges P, Maurel B, Roeder B, Chuter T, Mastracci T. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014 Oct;148(4):1709-16
- Late rescue of proximal endograft failure using fenestrated and branched devices. Martin Z, Greenberg RK, Mastracci TM**, Eagleton MJ, O'Callaghan A, Bena J. J Vasc Surg. 2014 Jun;59(6):1479-87.
- What are the effects of introducing the WHO "surgical safety checklist" on in-hospital mortality? Mastracci TM**, Greenberg CC, Kortbeek JB; Members of the Evidence-Based Reviews in Surgery Group. J Am Coll Surg. 2013 Dec;217(6):1151-3.
- Hypogastric and subclavian artery patency affects onset and recovery of spinal cord ischemia associated with aortic endografting. Eagleton MJ, Shah S, Petkosevek D, Mastracci TM, Greenberg RK. J Vasc Surg. 2014 Jan; Epub 2013 Nov 1.
- Endovascular repair of aortoiliac aneurysmal disease with the helical iliac bifurcation device and the bifurcated-bifurcated iliac bifurcation device. Wong S, Greenberg RK, Brown CR, Mastracci TM, Bena J, Eagleton MJ. J Vasc Surg. 2013 Oct; Epub 2013 Jun 21.
- Radiation exposure to operating room personnel and patients during endovascular procedures. Mohapatra A, Greenberg RK, Mastracci TM, Eagleton MJ, Thornsberry B. J Vasc Surg. 2013 Sep;
- Family history of aortic disease predicts disease patterns and progression and is a significant influence on management strategies for patients and their relatives. Brown CR, Greenberg RK, Wong S, Eagleton M, Mastracci T, Hernandez AV, Rigelsky CM, Moran R. J Vasc Surg. 2013 Sep;
- Fenestrated and branched endovascular aortic repair for chronic type B aortic dissection with thoracoabdominal aneurysms. Kitagawa A, Greenberg RK, Eagleton MJ, Mastracci TM, Roselli EE. J Vasc Surg. 2013 Sep.
- Zenith p-branch standard fenestrated endovascular graft for juxtarenal abdominal aortic aneurysms.Kitagawa A, Greenberg RK, Eagleton MJ, Mastracci TM. J Vasc Surg. 2013 Aug; Epub 2013 Apr 20.
- The role of diameter versus volume as the best prognostic measurement of abdominal aortic aneurysms. Kitagawa A, Mastracci TM**, von Allmen R, Powell JT. J Vasc Surg. 2013 Jul;58(1):258-65
- Part One: For the Motion. External Diameter for AAA Size.Kitagawa A, Mastracci TM. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2013 May 20.
- Progress in management of malperfusion syndrome from type B dissections. Ryan C, Vargas L, Mastracci T, Srivastava S, Eagleton M, Kelso R, Clair D, Sarac TP.J Vasc Surg. 2013 May;57(5):1283-90; discussion 1290
- Treatment of a patient with vertebral and subclavian aneurysms in the setting of a TGFBR2 mutation. Sylvan J, Greenberg RK, Mastracci TM, Eagleton MJ, Moran R.J Vasc Surg. 2013 Apr;57(4):1116-9
- Zenith pivot branch device (p-branch) standard endovascular graft: Early experience on an innovative standard fenestrated endograft for juxtarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm. Kitagawa A, Greenberg RK, Eagleton MJ, Mastracci TM. J Vasc Surg. 2013 Apr 20.
- Durability of branches in branched and fenestrated endografts. Mastracci TM**, Greenberg RK, Eagleton MJ, Hernandez AV. J Vasc Surg. 2013 Apr;57(4):926-33; discussion 933.
- A 67-year old man with an abdominal aortic aneurysm. LaBoon A, Mastracci TM**. Cleve Clin J Med. 2013 Mar;80(3):161-7
- Laparoscopic median arcuate ligament release: are we improving symptoms? El-Hayek KM, Titus J, Bui A, Mastracci T, Kroh M. J Am Coll Surg. 2013 Feb;216(2):272-9.
- The role of mandatory lifelong annual surveillance after thoracic endovascular repair.Wong S, Mastracci TM, Katsargyris A, Verhoeven EL. J Vasc Surg. 2012 Dec;56(6):1786-93.
- Operative blood loss, blood transfusion and 30-day mortality in older patients after major noncardiac surgery. Mastracci TM, Bhandari M, Mundi R, Rizoli SB, Nascimento BA, Schreiber M; Evidence-Based Reviews in Surgery Group.Can J Surg. 2012 Dec;55(6):426-8.
- Qureshi MA. Greenberg RK. Mastracci TM. Eagleton MJ. Hernandez AV. Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease have shorter survival but superior endovascular outcomes after endovascular aneurysm repair. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 56(4):911-919.e2, 2012 Oct
- The coronary CT angiography vision protocol: a prospective observational imaging cohort study in patients undergoing non-cardiac surgery. Sheth T, Butler C, Chow B, Chan MT, Mitha A, Nagele P, Tandon V, Stewart L, Graham M, Choi GY, Kisten T, Woodard PK, Crean A, Abdul Aziz YF, Karthikeyan G, Chow CK, Szczeklik W, Markobrada M, Mastracci T, Devereaux PJ; CTA VISION Investigators. BMJ Open. 2012 Jul 31;2(4
- Predictive models for acute kidney injury following cardiac surgery. Demirjian S, Schold JD, Navia J, Mastracci TM, Paganini EP, Yared JP, Bashour CA. Am J Kidney Dis. 2012 Mar;59(3):382-9.
- Demirjian S. Schold JD. Navia J. Mastracci TM. Paganini EP. Yared JP. Bashour CA. Predictive models for acute kidney injury following cardiac surgery. American Journal of Kidney Diseases. 59(3):382-9, 2012 Mar.
- Teaching evidence based medicine to surgery residents-is journal club the best format? A systematic review of the literature. Ahmadi N, McKenzie ME, Maclean A, Brown CJ, Mastracci T, McLeod RS; Evidence-Based Reviews in Surgery Steering Group. J Surg Educ. 2012 Jan-Feb;69(1):91-100
- Ahmadi N. McKenzie ME. Maclean A. Brown CJ. Mastracci T. McLeod RS. Evidence-Based Reviews in Surgery Steering Group. Teaching evidence based medicine to surgery residents-is journal club the best format? A systematic review of the literature. Journal of Surgical Education. 69(1):91-100, 2012 Jan-Feb.
- Sarac TP. Gibbons C. Vargas L. Liu J. Srivastava S. Bena J. Mastracci T. Kashyap VS. Clair D. Long-term follow-up of type II endoleak embolization reveals the need for close surveillance. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 55(1):33-40, 2012 Jan.
- Kang WC. Greenberg RK. Mastracci TM. Eagleton MJ. Hernandez AV. Pujara AC. Roselli EE. Endovascular repair of complicated chronic distal aortic dissections: intermediate outcomes and complications. Journal of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery. 142(5):1074-83, 2011 Nov.
- Mastracci TM. Eagleton MJ. Endovascular repair of type II and type III thoracoabdominal aneurysms. Perspectives in Vascular Surgery & Endovascular Therapy. 23(3):178-85, 2011 Sep.
- Mastracci TM. Carli F. Finley RJ. Muccio S. Warner DO. Members of the Evidence-Based Reviews in Surgery Group. Effect of preoperative smoking cessation interventions on postoperative complications. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 212(6):1094-6, 2011 Jun.
- Mastracci TM. Invited Commentary. Journal of Vascular Surgery 2011 May; 53(5):1437-8.
- Panuccio G., Greenberg RK., Wunderle K., Mastracci TM, Eagleton MG., Davros W. Comparison of indirect radiation dose estimates with directly measured radiation dose for patients and operators during complex endovascular procedures. Journal of Vascular Surgery. April 2011; 53(4):885-894.e1; discussion 894
- Dijkstra ML. Eagleton MJ. Greenberg RK. Mastracci T. Hernandez A. Intraoperative C-arm cone-beam computed tomography in fenestrated/branched aortic endografting. Journal of Vascular Surgery 2011 Mar; 53(3):583-90.
- Martin ZL, Mastracci TM. The Evaluation of Aortic Dissections with Intravascular Ultrasonography. Vascular Disease Management 2011; 8: E93 – E97.
- Killewich LA, Falls G, Mastracci TM, Brown KR. Factors affecting radiation injury. J Vasc Surg 2011 Jan; 53 (1 Suppl): 9S – 14S.
- Bub GL, Greenberg RK, Mastracci TM, Eagleton MJ, Panuccio G, Hernandez AV, Cerqueira MD. Perioperative Cardiac Events in Endovascular Repair of Complex Aortic Aneurysms and Association with Preoperative Studies. J Vasc Surg 2011 Jan;53(1):21-7.e2.
- Mastracci TM. Fenestrated endografts for complex abdominal aortic aneurysms. Perspectives in Vascular Surgery & Endovascular Therapy. 2010 Dec; 22(4):214-8.
- Greenberg R, Eagleton M, Mastracci TM. Branched endografts for thoracoabdominal aneurysms. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010 Dec;140(6 Suppl):S171-8.
- Mastracci TM, Eagleton MJ, Greenberg RK. Re: "Fenestrated and branched endografts for the treatment of thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms: a systematic review" by Bakoyiannis et al. J Endovasc Ther. 2010 Oct;17(5):673-4; author reply 674-5.
- Mastracci TM, Aarts MA, Cassivi SD, Garcia SA, McLean RF, McFalls EO, CAGS and ACS Evidence Based Reviews in Surgery. Effects of ß-blockers in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery. Can J Surg. 2010 Oct;53(5):342-4.
- Coscas R, Greenberg RK, Mastracci TM, Eagleton M, Kang WC, Morales C, Hernandez AV. Associated factors, timing, and technical aspects of late failure following open surgical aneurysm repairs. J Vasc Surg. 2010 Aug;52(2):272-81.
- Roselli EE, Soltesz EG, Mastracci TM, Svensson LG, Lytle BW. Antegrade delivery of stent grafts to treat complex thoracic aortic disease. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010 Aug;90(2):539-46.
- Mastracci TM. Endovascular treatment of thoracoabdominal aneurysm. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med. 2010 Jun;12(3):205-13.
- El-Arousy H, Mastracci TM. Aortic Curvature as a Risk Factor for Dissection. Italian J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2010 Jun;17:103-5.
- Mastracci TM, Greenberg RK, Hernandez AV, Morales C. Defining high risk in endovascular aneurysm repair. J Vasc Surg. 2010 May;51(5):1088-1095.e1.
- Goel SS, Harvey JE, Greenberg RK, Mastracci TM, Menon V. Blunt Traumatic Aortic Transection. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010 Feb 9;55(6):607.
- Bolen MA, Mastracci TM, Schoenhagen P. Use of electrocardiographic-gated 4-dimensional CT to assess patency of abdominal aortic branch vessels in type B dissection. J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2009 Nov-Dec;3(6):415-6.
- Greenberg RK, Mastracci TM, West K. Response to "Separation of Components in Fenestrate d and Branched Endovascular Grafting" Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2009 Dec 22.
- Mastracci TM, Birch D, Caprini J, Swanstrom L; Members of the Evidence-Based Reviews in Surgery Group. Laparoscopic surgery compared with open surgery. J Am Coll Surg. 2009 Dec;209(6):785-7
- Coroneos CJ. Mastracci TM. Barlas S. Cina CS. The effect of thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair on quality of life. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 50(2):251-5, 2009 Aug.
- Mastracci TM. Greenberg RK. Follow-up paradigms for stable aortic dissection. Seminars in Vascular Surgery. 22(2):69-73, 2009 Jun.
- Mohabbat W. Greenberg RK. Mastracci TM. Cury M. Morales JP. Hernandez AV. Revised duplex criteria and outcomes for renal stents and stent grafts following endovascular repair of juxtarenal and thoracoabdominal aneurysms. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 49(4):827-37, 2009 Apr.
- Mastracci TM, Greenberg RK. Regarding “Functional Outcome after Thoracoabdominal Aneurysm Repair” J Vasc Surg 2009 Jan; 49:281; author reply 281-2.
- Mastracci TM, Greenberg RK. Complex aortic disease: changes in perception, evaluation and management. J Vasc Surg. 2008 Dec;48(6 Suppl):17S-23S; discussion 23S
- Mastracci TM, Greenberg RK. Thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm – toward consensus. Aortic arch reconstruction update. Vascular and Endovascular Consensus Update. Charing Cross International Symposium. London: BIBA 2008.
- Mastracci TM, Clase CM, Devereaux PJ, Cinà CS Open Versus Endovascular Repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms: A Survey of Canadian Vascular Surgeons. Canadian Journal Of Surgery April 2008
- Mastracci TM, Greenberg RK, Vidella C. Thoracoabdominal Aneurysms and Endovascular Grafts: Current Status. Book Chapter for European Vascular Conference, May 2008
- Mastracci TM, Cohen Z, Senagore A Canadian Association of General Surgeons and American College of Surgeons Evidence Based Reviews in Surgery. Fast Track programmes in colonic surgery. Systematic review of enhanced recovery programmes in colonic surgery. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 51(1): 70-2. February 2008
- Mastracci TM, Garrido-Olivares L, Cina CS, Clase CM. Endovascular Repair of ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms: A systematic review and metaanalysis. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 47(1): 214 – 221. January 2008.
- Mastracci TM, Greenberg RK, Pfaff K. Infrarenal AAA and a Pelvic Kidney. Endovascular Today. January 2008
- Mastracci TM. Thoma A. Farrokhyar F. Tandan VR. Cina CS. Evidence-Based Surgery Working Group. Users' guide to the surgical literature: how to use a decision analysis. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 50(5):403-9, 2007 Oct.
- Mastracci TM. Cina CS. Canadian Society for Vascular Surgery. Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm in Canada: review and position statement of the Canadian Society for Vascular Surgery. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 45(6):1268-1276, 2007 Jun
- Moore R. Hinojosa CA. O'Neill S. Mastracci TM. Cina CS. Fenestrated endovascular grafts for juxtarenal aortic aneurysms: a step by step technical approach. Catheterization & Cardiovascular Interventions. 69(4):554-71, 2007 Mar 1.
- Verhoeven ELG, Mastracci TM, Kapma M, Oranen BI, Cina CS. Endovascular Treatment of Ruptured Aneurysms: Current Status. Book chapter for publication in Proceedings by Dr. Becquemin
- Mastracci TM and Cina CS Exposure of the Visceral Arteries For Aneurysms: A Textbook Chapter. For Publication in the Atlas of Vascular Surgery. Prepared by Lead Editor Dr. Antonio Sterpetti
- Mastracci TM, CS Cinà, A. Jahromi, C. Hinojosa. Access for Endovascular Surgery Under Local Anesthesia: How I Do It. Journal of Angiology, October 2006
- Mastracci TM. Hendren S. O'Connor B. McLeod RS. The impact of surgery for colorectal cancer on quality of life and functional status in the elderly. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum. 49(12):1878-84, 2006 Dec.
- Mastracci TM. Cadeddu M. Colopinto RF. Cina C. A minimally invasive approach to the treatment of aberrant splenic artery aneurysms: a report of two cases. [Case Reports. Journal Article] Journal of Vascular Surgery. 41(6):1053-7, 2005 Jun.
- Ray, JG; Hamielec, C.; Mastracci, T. Pilot Study of the Accuracy of Bedside Glucometry in the Intensive Care Unit. Critical Care Medicine 29(11): 2205 – 7, 2001 November.