Senior lecturer in renal cancer surgery and honorary consultant urological surgeon
MBBS BSc(Hons) MRCS FRCS (Urol) PhD
PA/secretary phone number: 020 7794 0500 x32467
PA/secretary email address: Sheila.firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: 020 7830 2468
Miss Maxine Tran has been drawn to kidney cancer ever since her first post as a junior doctor in a urology department almost two decades ago. She has a special interest in rare inherited kidney cancer syndromes and was awarded a competitive MRC clinical training fellowship for her PhD research at Imperial College London (2003-6). She was then appointed as clinical lecturer in urology at Cambridge University Hospital.
Maxine is dedicated to improving the knowledge of the biology underlying kidney cancer. This will ultimately translate to earlier diagnoses, better management and wider treatment options for patients.
She has been awarded grants from the MRC, Academy of Medical Sciences, Addenbrookes’ Charitable Trust. Her current research is being supported by Kidney cancer UK, Facing up 2 Kidney cancer, The Royal Free Hospital Charity and St Peter’s Trust.
- Fumarate is an epigenetic modifier that elicits epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition. Marco Sciacovelli1, Emanuel Gonçalves, Isaac Timothy Johnson, Vinny Zecchini, Anna Sofia Costa, Edoardo Gaude, Alizee Vercauteren Drubbel, Maxine Tran, Vinothini Rajeeve, Pedro Cutillas, Anne Warren, Vincent Gnanapragasam, Eamonn Richard Maher, Patrick Henry Maxwell, Julio Saez-Rodriguez & Christian Frezza.Nature (Accepted, August 2016)
- The small renal mass. Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge we have lost in information? Aitchison M, Tran M. BJU Int. 2016 Jun;117(6):851-2. doi: 10.1111/bju.13373.
- Sign of the times: be careful what you say in the operating room. Tran M, Tadtayev S, Palmer T, Evans A, Mumtaz F. Lancet. 2016 Feb 6;387(10018):536. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)00224-5.
- A glycolytic phenotype is associated with prostate cancer progression and aggressiveness: a role for monocarboxylate transporters as metabolic targets for therapy. Pertega-Gomes N, Felisbino S, Massie CE, Vizcaino JR, Coelho R, Sandi C, Simoes-Sousa S, Jurmeister S, Ramos-Montoya A, Asim M, Tran M, Oliveira E, Lobo da Cunha A, Maximo V, Baltazar F, Neal DE, Fryer LG. J Pathol. 2015 Aug;236(4):517-30. doi: 10.1002/path.4547.
- Recurrent chromosomal gains and heterogeneous driver mutations characterise papillary renal cancer evolution. Kovac M, Navas C, Horswell S, Salm M, Bardella C, Rowan A, Stares M, Castro-Giner F, Fisher R, de Bruin EC, Kovacova M, Gorman M, Makino S, Williams J, Jaeger E, Jones A, Howarth K, Larkin J, Pickering L, Gore M, Nicol DL, Hazell S, Stamp G, O'Brien T, Challacombe B, Matthews N, Phillimore B, Begum S, Rabinowitz A, Varela I, Chandra A, Horsfield C, Polson A, Tran M, Bhatt R, Terracciano L, Eppenberger-Castori S, Protheroe A, Maher E, El Bahrawy M, Fleming S, Ratcliffe P, Heinimann K, Swanton C, Tomlinson I. Nat Commun. 2015 Mar 19;6:6336. doi: 10.1038/ncomms7336.
- PROMs in male incontinence surgery. MGB Tran, J Yip, K Uveili, S Biers and N Thiruchelvam. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. Oct 2014 pp. 521-525(5)
- Renal tubular HIF-2α expression requires VHL inactivation and causes fibrosis and cysts. Schietke RE, Hackenbeck T, Tran M, Günther R, Klanke B, Warnecke CL, Knaup KX, Shukla D, Rosenberger C, Koesters R, Bachmann S, Betz P, Schley G, Schödel J, Willam C, Winkler T, Amann K, Eckardt KU, Maxwell P, Wiesener MS. PLoS One. 2012;7(1):e31034. Epub 2012 Jan 27.
- Developmentally arrested structures preceding cerebellar tumors in von Hippel-Lindau disease. Shively SB, Falke EA, Li J, Tran MG, Thompson ER, Maxwell PH, Roessler E, Oldfield EH, Lonser RR, Vortmeyer AO. Mod Pathol. 2011 Aug;24(8):1023-30. doi: 10.1038/modpathol.2011.61. Epub 2011 Apr 15.
- Progression of epididymal maldevelopment into harmatoma-like neoplasia in vhl disease. Mehta GU, Shively S, Duong H, Tran MGB, Moncrief TJ, Smith JH, Li Edwards NA, Lonser RR, Zhuang Z, Merrill MJ, Raffeld M, Maxwell PH, Oldfield EH and Vortmeyer AO. Neoplasia 2008 Oct, vol 10, no. 10 p1146-1153
- Inhibition of HIF hydroxylases protects against renal ischemia-reperfusion injury. Hill P, Shukla D, Tran MGB, Aragones J, Cook HT, Carmeliet P and Maxwell PH. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2008 19: 39-46
- New androgen receptor genomic targets show an interaction with the ETS1 transcription factor. Massie CR, Adryan B, Barbosa-Morais NL, Lynch AG, Tran MGB, Neal DE and Mills IG. EMBO reports 2007 vol8, no 9 871-878
- Evolution of VHL tumorigenesis in nerve root tissue. Vortmeyer AO, Tran MGB, Zeng W, Glasker S, Riley C, Tsokos M, Ikeji. B, Merrill MJ, Raffeld M, Zhuang Z, Lonser RR, Maxwell PH, Oldfield EH. Journal of Pathology 2006 Sep 18; [Epub ahead of print]
- Epididymal cystadenomas and epithelial tumorlets: Effects of VHL deficiency on human epididymis. Glasker S, Tran MGB, Shively S, Ikejiri B, Lonser RR, Maxwell PH, Zhuang Z, Oldfield EH, Vortmeyer AO. Journal of Pathology 2006 Sep;210(1):32-41
- Matrix protein “low expression” regions in venular basement membranes act as exit points for neutrophils migrating through venular walls. Wang S, Voisin M, Dangerfield J, Tran MGB, Maxwell PH, Sorokin L, Noursshargh S. Journal of Exp Medicine 2006 Jun 12;203(6):1519-32
- Formation of Primary Cilia in the kidney epithelium is regulated by the VHL tumor suppressor protein. Esteban MA, Harten SK, Giles RH, Tran MGB, Maxwell PH. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 2006 Jul;17(7):1801-6
- Regulation of E-cadherin expression by the VHL tumour suppressor protein via hypoxia-inducible factor. Tran MGB*, Esteban MA*, Hill P, Harten SK, Chandra A, Raval R, O’Brien TS, Maxwell PH. (* equal contribution) Cancer Res. 2006 Apr 1;66(7):3567-75
- Tumour cell plasticity in Ewing Sarcoma; an alternative circulatory system stimulated by hypoxia. van der Schaft DWJ, Hillen F, Pauwels P, Kirschmann D, Castermans K, oude Egbrink MGA, Tran MGB, Sciot R, Hauben E, Hogendoom CW, Delattre O, Maxwell PH, Hendrix MJC, Griffeon AW. Cancer Res. 2005; 65(24):11520-8.
- Effects of VHL deficiency on Endolymphatic Duct and Sac. Glasker S, Lonser RR, Tran MGB, Ikejiri B, Butman JA, Zeng W, Maxwell PH, Zhuang Z, Oldfield EH, Vortmeyer AO. Cancer Res. 2005; 65(23):10847-53
- Contrasting properties of HIF-1alpha and HIF-2alpha in VHL-associated renal cell carcinoma. Raval RR, Lau KW, Tran MGB, Sowter HM, Mandriota SJ, Li JL, Pugh CW, Maxwell PH, Harris AL, Ratcliffe PJ. Molecular Cell Biology, 2005 25 (13), 5675-5686
- Jellyuria – a symptom of neoplastic urachal disease. Tran MGB, Cahill D, Chandra A, O’Donnell PJ, O’Brien TS. BJU International 2002 90 (9cr), 973
- Aetiology and molecular basis of renal cancer. Tran M and Eisen T . Oxford Oncology Library 2010 Chapter 1, Oxford University Press
- The molecular genetics and pathology of renal cell carcinoma. Tran MGB, O’Brien TS, Maxwell PH . Scientific basis of Urology 2010 Chapter 22 Informa Healthcare
- Current treatment options in advanced renal cell carcinoma. Tran MGB and Eisen T. Lectures in Targeted Cancer Therapy 2008 Current Medicine Group