Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon
BSc(Hons), MBBS, MRCS, MSc, FRCS(Tr and Orth)
PA/secretary phone number: 020 8375 1422, 020 7830 2067
PA/secretary email address: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Akash Patel is a double-fellowship trained Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon, with subspecialty interest in hip and knee disorders. His specialist surgical interest is joint replacements, arthroscopy (key hole surgery) and sports injuries. He graduated from University College London (2005) and was selected to undertake trauma and orthopaedic training on the Imperial Northwest London rotation. He was awarded Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons (England), followed by prestigious specialist hip/knee fellowships at Royal Berkshire and Royal Free London NHS Trusts. His training was further enhanced by ESSKA Knee Fellowship (Germany, France, Holland), Trauma Travelling Fellowship (South Africa) and International Healthcare Leadership Programme (Switzerland).
In addition, Mr Patel has completed BSc (UCL) and MSc (Evidence Based Orthopaedics – Warwick University) under the guidance of Professor Matt Costa (Oxford University). He has published research broadly, and presented nationally/internationally, winning numerous prizes.
He has a keen interest in surgical education. Specifically, training medical students, doctors and physiotherapists (UCL and Imperial). He is director for multiple national level Orthopaedic training courses.
- Ten year follow up and evaluation of a contoured focal resurface knee prosthesis (Hemicap) in UK patients. Nahas S, Patel A, Li L, Parmar H. Journal of Knee Surgery. (Accepted for publication).
- The role of ACL reconstruction with HTO in ACL-deficient varus knees with medial compartment osteoarthritis: A systematic review. Anand A, Patel A, Anand B. ESSKA Journal of Experimental Orthopaedics. (Accepted for publication).
- The posterolateral corner of the knee. Nahas S, Patel A, Hodgson H, Gupte C. Orthopaedics and Trauma. Feb 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mporth.2019.01.003.
- Independent assessment and outcomes of 196 short taper stems: short-term follow-up and review of the literature. Nahas S, Patel A, Blucher N, Vedi V. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. May-Aug 2018; 26(3).
- Newsletter article: Life as a surgeon. ZimmerBiomet UK Newsletter. Patel A. November 2018.
- Abstract: Rare Hoffa fracture of the lateral femoral condyle with sagittal split: case report with literature review. Patel A, Li L, Quereshi A, Deierl K. Bone and Joint Journal (Orthopaedic proceedings). April 2018; 100-B: 4:94.
- ESSKA Knee Travelling Fellowship report (Osteotomy). Patel A, Vioreanu M. ESSKA Newsletter. December 2017; 51-52.
- Tightrope fixation of syndesmotic injuries in Weber C ankle fractures: A multicentre case-series. Wei R, Patel A, Vedi V, Allardice G. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology. May 2017; 27(4): 461-467.
- Abstract: Medium- to long-term evaluation of a contoured focal knee resurfacing prosthesis. Li L, Patel A, Jundi H, Parmar H. Bone and Joint Journal (Orthopaedic proceedings). April 2017; 99-B 8:26.
- Abstract: Fixation versus replacement for radial head fractures in adults. Patel A, Li L, Rashid A. Bone and Joint Journal (Orthopaedic proceedings). April 2017; 99-B 8:65.
- A novel patellofemoral resurfacing arthroplasty for isolated patellofemoral arthritis: independent assessment and early functional outcomes. Patel A, Haider Z, Spicer D. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. Jan 2017; 25(1): 1-5.
- Abstract: Cemented versus uncemented CMCJ replacement: A systematic review. Anand A, Li L, Trigkilidas D, Patel A. Bone and Joint Journal (Orthopaedic proceedings). Jan 2017; 99-B 1:75.
- Functional outcomes of fixation versus replacement for comminuted radial head fractures: A systematic review. Patel A, Li L, Rashid A. International Journal of Orthopaedics. June 2016; 23 3(3): 557-563. ISSN 2313-1462.
- Use of a Proximal Humeral Locking Plate for Complex Ankle and Hindfoot Fusion. Shearman A, Eleftheriou K, Patel A, Pradhan R, Rosenfeld P. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. May 2016; 55(3): 612-618.
- Abstract: Platelet-rich-plasma injections for the treatment of resistant trochanteric pain. Blucher N, Nahas S, Patel A, Sarraf K, Vedi V. International Journal of Surgery. 2016; 36: 31-32.
- Abstract: Independent assessment and outcomes of 198 short taper stems with 72 month follow up. Nahas S, Patel A, Blucher N, Vedi V. British Journal of Surgery. April 2016; 103 (S3): 54-56.
- Loosening and infection in hydroxyapatite-coated versus uncoated external fixation pins: A systematic review. Patel A, Ghai A, Anand A. International Journal of Orthopaedics. April 2016; 18 3(2): 525-527.
- Primary Tuberculosis of the Elbow joint: A Case Report. Rahman J, Patel A, Lam F. Musculoskeletal Care. December 2015, 14 (3): 166-168.
- A rare case of multiple clavicular exostoses following a shoulder injury. Haider Z, Patel A, Lam F. EC Orthopaedics. July 2015, 2.1: 33-35.
- Case report: An unusual cause of hip pain. Patel A, Martyn-Hemphill C, Marston R. British Medical Journal (BMJ). March 2015; 350:h1385.
- Distributed interactive simulation for intramedullary trochanteric nailing: A feasibility study. Sugand K, Akhtar K, Patel A, Gupte C. British Medical Journal (BMJ Simulation and Technology Enhanced Learning). 2014; 1:A2 (doi: 10.1136/bmjstel-2014-000002.4)
- Systematic review: Functional outcomes and complications of intramedullary nailing versus plate fixation for both-bone diaphyseal forearm fractures in children. Patel A, Li L, Anand A. Injury. Aug 2014; 45(8):1135-1143.
- Nontraumatic osteochondral lesion of the talar head: A case report and description of operative technique for arthroscopic debridement. Mangwani J, Patel A, Al-Jundi W, Askari A, Moore D. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. Jan-June 2014; 1(1):1-7.
- Case report: Bilateral excision arthroplasty and interpositional allograft for severe talonavicular osteoarthritis. Patel A, Eleftheriou A, Anand A, Rosenfeld P. Foot and Ankle International. Sept 2013; 34(9):1294-8.
- Abstract: Functional outcomes and complications of flexible intramedullary nailing versus plate fixation for both bone diaphyseal forearm fractures in children: A systematic review. Patel A, Anand A, Alam M, Anand B. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br). Jan 2013; 95-B (1): 100.
- Loosening and infection in hydroxyapatite-coated versus uncoated external fixation pins used for leg lengthening procedures: A systematic review. Patel A, Anand A, Alam M, Anand B. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br). Jan 2013; 95-B (1): 226.
- E-publication: Unicompartmental vs TKR: 15 year results of a RCT – Critical appraisal. Orthopaedic World Literature Society, London deanery website, Synapse (www.synapse.nhs.uk). Patel A, Anand A. May 2012.
- Problems with validation of a measurement device for instrumented quantification of anterior translation and rotational assessment of the knee. Alam M, Lopez D, Patel A. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery. 2012 Feb; 28(2):152.
- Arthroscopic ankle arthrodesis: Are results reproducible irrespective of pre-operative deformity? Dannawi Z, Nawabi D, Patel A, Leong J, Moore D. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2011 Dec; 17(4):294-9.
- Comparison of intramedullary nailing versus open reduction and internal fixation of distal metaphyseal tibial fractures: A systematic review. Anand A, Patel A, Anand B. Injury Extra. Sept 2011; 42(9): 154.
- Medial patello-femoral ligament reconstruction for the treatment of chronic patellar instability : A systematic review of recent evidence. Patel A, Anand A, Rashid A, Yoon W. Journal of Orthopaedics. 2011; 8(4)e5. (www.journalofortho.org/2011/8/4/e5).
- Anticoagulation management in hip fracture patients on warfarin. Ashouri F, Al Jundi W, Patel A, Mangwani J. ISRN Hematology. Jan 2011: Vol 2011; Article ID 294628.
- Initial assessment and management of fracture neck of femur patients in the emergency department and the “fast track” system. Osei-Kufour J, Roach S, Patel A. Injury Extra. Dec 2010; 41 (12): 168.
- FLRT3 is expressed in sensory neurons after peripheral nerve injury and regulates neurite outgrowth. Robinson M, Parsons-Perez M, Patel A, Livesey F, Hunt S. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience. 2004 Oct;27(2):202-14.
- Handbook for Orthopaedic Junior Doctors. Editors: Patel A, Deol R. Local publication: East and North Herts NHS Trust. March 2013.
- Book Chapter: “How to Get a Speciality Training Post: The Insider’s Guide”. Author: Lim D. Trauma and Orthopaedic chapter (150 – 154): Patel A. Oxford University Press. Published: May 2011.