Mr Akash Patel
Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon (Hip/Knee/Sports Specialist)
Associate Professor, University College London
BSc(Hons), MBBS, MRCS, MSc, FRCS(Tr and Orth)
PA/secretary phone number: Barnet/Chase Farm: 020 8375 1422; Royal Free Hospital: 020 7830 2067
PA/secretary email address: Barnet/Chase Farm: firstname.lastname@example.org; Royal Free Hospital: email@example.com
Private practice phone number: Royal Free Private Clinic appointments: 020 3856 8106, secretary: 0203 995 5463
Private practice email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Akash Patel is a double-fellowship trained consultant trauma and orthopaedic surgeon, with specialist expertise in hip and knee disorders. He is associate professor at University College London. His key focus is to provide the best possible outcomes for his patients, utilising proven evidence-based technologies and enhanced recovery.
He has expertise and specialist surgical interests in joint replacements, arthroscopy (keyhole surgery), sports injuries and trauma. He also uses modern, non-operative treatments for management of hip and knee disorders, including biologics (PRP) and bracing.
Mr Patel graduated from University College London (2005) and was selected to undertake trauma and orthopaedic training on the Imperial Northwest London rotation. He was awarded fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons (England), followed by prestigious specialist UK hip/knee fellowships at Royal Berkshire and Royal Free London Hospitals. His experience and skills were further enhanced at world class international units. These included Royal North Shore Hospital (Australia), ESSKA Knee Fellowship (Germany, France, Holland), Trauma Travelling Fellowship (South Africa) and International Healthcare Leadership Programme (Switzerland).
In addition, Mr Patel has completed BSc (UCL) and MSc (Evidence Based Orthopaedics – Warwick University) under the guidance of Professor Matt Costa (Oxford University). He has published research extensively, and presented nationally/internationally, winning numerous prizes.
Mr Patel has a keen interest in sports, exercise and surgical education. Specifically, advanced orthopaedic training for all healthcare professionals. He is an advanced trauma life support instructor (Royal College of Surgeons). Mr Patel is director for multiple national orthopaedic masterclass surgical training courses. Positive feedback received for mentoring and teaching has led to the award of an Imperial College London honorary senior lectureship.
He also ran the London Marathon and raised more than £3000 for the Children's trust charity. He enjoys keeping fit and lives with his family in north london, where he was born.
- Ten year follow up and evaluation of a contoured focal resurface prosthesis (Hemicap) in UK patients. Nahas S, Patel A, Li L, Parmar H. Journal of Knee Surgery. Oct 2020; 33(10): 966-970.
- Does removing hip precautions after posterior-approach total hip arthroplasty affect dislocation rates? A Systematic Review. Crompton J, Osagie L, Patel A. Acta Orthopaedica. July 2020; 28(1-6).
- The role of ACL reconstruction with HTO in ACL-deficient varus knees with medial compartment osteoarthritis: A systematic review. Anand A, Patel A, Anand B. ESSKA Journal of Experimental Orthopaedics. (Accepted for publication).
- The posterolateral corner of the knee. Nahas S, Patel A, Hodgson H, Gupte C. Orthopaedics and Trauma. Feb 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mporth.2019.01.003.
- Independent assessment and outcomes of 196 short taper stems: short-term follow-up and review of the literature. Nahas S, Patel A, Blucher N, Vedi V. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. Nov 2018; 26(3).
- Newsletter article: Life as a surgeon. ZimmerBiomet UK Newsletter. November 2018.
- Abstract: Rare Hoffa fracture of the lateral femoral condyle with sagittal split: case report with literature review. Patel A, Li L, Quereshi A, Deierl K. Bone and Joint Journal (Orthopaedic proceedings). April 2018; 100-B: 4:94.
- ESSKA Knee Travelling Fellowship report (Osteotomy). Patel A, Vioreanu M. ESSKA Newsletter. December 2017; 51-52.
- Tightrope fixation of syndesmotic injuries in Weber C ankle fractures: A multicentre case-series. Wei R, Patel A, Vedi V, Allardice G. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology. May 2017; 27(4): 461-467.
- Abstract: Medium- to long-term evaluation of a contoured focal knee resurfacing prosthesis. Li L, Patel A, Jundi H, Parmar H. Bone and Joint Journal (Orthopaedic proceedings). April 2017; 99-B 8:26.
- Abstract: Fixation versus replacement for radial head fractures in adults. Patel A, Li L, Rashid A. Bone and Joint Journal (Orthopaedic proceedings). April 2017; 99-B 8:65.
- A novel patellofemoral resurfacing arthroplasty for isolated patellofemoral arthritis: independent assessment and early functional outcomes. Patel A, Haider Z, Spicer D. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery. Jan 2017; 25(1): 1-5.
- Abstract: Cemented versus uncemented CMCJ replacement: A systematic review. Anand A, Li L, Trigkilidas D, Patel A. Bone and Joint Journal (Orthopaedic proceedings). Jan 2017; 99-B 1:75.
- Functional outcomes of fixation versus replacement for comminuted radial head fractures: A systematic review. Patel A, Li L, Rashid A. International Journal of Orthopaedics. June 2016; 23 3(3): 557-563. ISSN 2313-1462.
- Use of a Proximal Humeral Locking Plate for Complex Ankle and Hindfoot Fusion. Shearman A, Eleftheriou K, Patel A, Pradhan R, Rosenfeld P. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. May 2016; 55(3): 612-618.
- Abstract: Platelet-rich-plasma injections for the treatment of resistant trochanteric pain. Blucher N, Nahas S, Patel A, Sarraf K, Vedi V. International Journal of Surgery. 2016; 36: 31-32.
- Abstract: Independent assessment and outcomes of 198 short taper stems with 72 month follow up. Nahas S, Patel A, Blucher N, Vedi V. British Journal of Surgery. April 2016; 103 (S3): 54-56.
- Loosening and infection in hydroxyapatite-coated versus uncoated external fixation pins: A systematic review. Patel A, Ghai A, Anand A. International Journal of Orthopaedics. April 2016; 18 3(2): 525-527.
- Primary Tuberculosis of the Elbow joint: A Case Report. Rahman J, Patel A, Lam F. Musculoskeletal Care. December 2015, 14 (3): 166-168.
- A rare case of multiple clavicular exostoses following a shoulder injury. Haider Z, Patel A, Lam F. EC Orthopaedics. July 2015, 2.1: 33-35.
- Case report: An unusual cause of hip pain. Patel A, Martyn-Hemphill C, Marston R. British Medical Journal (BMJ). March 2015; 350:h1385.
- A novel technique for the removal of cold-welded locking plates and screws. Rashid A, Patel A, Rossouw D. Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery (Global). Nov 2014, PRS-D-14-0211.
- Distributed interactive simulation for intramedullary trochanteric nailing: A feasibility study. Sugand K, Akhtar K, Patel A, Gupte C. British Medical Journal (BMJ Simulation and Technology Enhanced Learning). 2014; 1:A2 (doi: 10.1136/bmjstel-2014-000002.4)
- Systematic review: Functional outcomes and complications of intramedullary nailing versus plate fixation for both-bone diaphyseal forearm fractures in children. Patel A, Li L, Anand A. Injury. Aug 2014; 45(8):1135-1143.
- Nontraumatic osteochondral lesion of the talar head: A case report and description of operative technique for arthroscopic debridement. Mangwani J, Patel A, Al-Jundi W, Askari A, Moore D. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. Jan-June 2014; 1(1):1-7.
- Case report: Bilateral excision arthroplasty and interpositional allograft for severe talonavicular osteoarthritis. Patel A, Eleftheriou A, Anand A, Rosenfeld P. Foot and Ankle International. Sept 2013; 34(9):1294-8.
- Abstract: Functional outcomes and complications of flexible intramedullary nailing versus plate fixation for both bone diaphyseal forearm fractures in children: A systematic review. Patel A, Anand A, Alam M, Anand B. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br). Jan 2013; 95-B (1): 100.
- Loosening and infection in hydroxyapatite-coated versus uncoated external fixation pins used for leg lengthening procedures: A systematic review. Patel A, Anand A, Alam M, Anand B. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Br). Jan 2013; 95-B (1): 226.
- E-publication: Outcomes of acetabular fracture fixation with 10 year follow-up – Critical appraisal. Orthopaedic World Literature Society, London deanery website, Synapse (). Anand A, Patel A. Jun 2012.
- E-publication: Unicompartmental vs TKR: 15 year results of a RCT – Critical appraisal. Orthopaedic World Literature Society, London deanery website, Synapse (). Patel A, Anand A. May 2012.
- E-publication: Operative vs nonoperative treatment of acute achilles tendon ruptures – Critical appraisal. Orthopaedic World Literature Society, London deanery website, Synapse (). Patel A. March 2012.
- E-publication: Elastic IMN of paediatric fractures of the forearm – Critical appraisal. Orthopaedic World Literature Society, London deanery website, Synapse (). Anand A, Patel A. Feb 2012.
- Problems with validation of a measurement device for instrumented quantification of anterior translation and rotational assessment of the knee. Alam M, Lopez D, Patel A. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery. 2012 Feb; 28(2):152.
- Arthroscopic ankle arthrodesis: Are results reproducible irrespective of pre-operative deformity? Dannawi Z, Nawabi D, Patel A. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery. 2011 Dec; 17(4):294-9.
- Comparison of intramedullary nailing versus open reduction and internal fixation of distal metaphyseal tibial fractures: A systematic review. Anand A, Patel A, Anand B. Injury Extra. Sept 2011; 42(9): 154.
- Medial patello-femoral ligament reconstruction for the treatment of chronic patellar instability: A systematic review of recent evidence. Patel A, Anand A, Rashid A, Yoon W. Journal of Orthopaedics. 2011; 8(4)e5. ().
- Anticoagulation management in hip fracture patients on warfarin. Ashouri F, Al Jundi W, Patel A, Mangwani J. ISRN Hematology. Jan 2011: Vol 2011; Article ID 294628.
- Initial assessment and management of fracture neck of femur patients in the emergency department and the “fast track” system. Osei-Kufour J, Roach S, Patel A. Injury Extra. Dec 2010; 41 (12): 168.
- FLRT3 is expressed in sensory neurons after peripheral nerve injury and regulates neurite outgrowth. Robinson M, Parsons-Perez M, Patel A, Livesey F, Hunt S. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience. 2004 Oct;27(2):202-14.
- Handbook for Orthopaedic Junior Doctors. Editors: Patel A, Deol R. Local publication: East and North Herts NHS Trust. March 2013.
- Book Chapter: “How to Get a Speciality Training Post: The Insider’s Guide”. Author: Lim D. Trauma and Orthopaedic chapter (150 – 154): Patel A. Oxford University Press. Published: May 2011.