Consultant plastic surgeon
Dip Hand Surg
PA/secretary phone number: 020 7794 0500 ext 38589
PA/secretary email address: email@example.com
Fax: 020 7830 2195
Mr Akhavani is a consultant plastic surgeon with a specialist interest in hand surgery, skin cancer management, general plastic surgery and aesthetic surgery. He was awarded a Hunterian Professorship for his research in plastic surgery and his current research interest includes limb transplant.
- Upper trunk and breast surgery after massive weight loss, Akhavani MA, Soldin, M, Book entitled: Oxford Text Book of Plastic Surgery, Editor: S.P.Kay, D. Wilks, In Press
- Technical Tip for Proximal Release During Open Carpal Tunnel Release Using a Subcutaneous Pocket., Nikkhah D, Sadr AH, Akhavani MA, J Hand Surg Asian Pac Vol. 2016 Jun;21(2):280-2
- Hair Today; Scalped Tomorrow: Massive Subgaleal Haematoma Following Sudden Hair Pulling in an Adolescent in the Absence of Haematological Abnormality or Skull Fracture., Edmondson SJ, Ramman S, Hachach-Haram N, Bisarya K, Fu B, Ong J, Akhavani M, J Craniofac Surg. 2016 Jul;27(5):1261-2.
- Risk of Thromboembolism Following Body-Contouring Surgery After Massive Weight Loss, Griffin M., Akhavani MA., Muirhead N., Fleming A, Soldin M, Eplasty. 2015 May 22;15:e17. eCollection 2015.
- A Review of the Classification of Dupuytren’s disease, Akhavani MA, A McMurtrie, M Webb, L Muir, J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2015 Feb;40(2):155-65
- A multicentre, randomized, double-blind trial of the safety and efficacy of mannose-6-phosphate in patients having Zone II flexor tendon repairs, Lees VC, Warwick D, Gillespie P, Brown A, Akhavani M, Dewer D, Boyce D, Papanastasiou S, Ragoowansi R, J Wong, J Hand Surg [Eur] 2014 Oct 13. pii: 1753193414553162.
- Short Reviews, Akhavani MA, J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2013 Mar;38(3):336-9
- The use of a template to accurately position the inframammary fold in breast reconstruction, Akhavani MA, Sadri A, Ovens L, Floyd D, J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011 Oct;64(10):e259-61
- Ulnar Drift in Rheumatoid Hands: The role of muscle hypoxia, Akhavani MA, Paleolog E, Kang NV, J Hand Surg [Am]. 2011 Apr;36(4):677-85
- Microsurgical trainer., Sadri A, Lloyd-Hughes H, Akhavani MA , Floyd D, Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2011 Oct;93(7):557
- Striae Ulceration in Iatrogenic Cushing’s Syndrome, Sadr A, Akhavani MA, O’Toole G, J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2010 May;63(5):e506
- Quilting full thickness skin graft in the hand, Akhavani MA, McKinell T, Kang NV, J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2010 Sep;63(9):1534-7.
- Hypoxia upregulates angiogenesis and synovial cell invasiveness in rheumatoid arthritis, Akhavani MA, Madden L, Buysschaert I , Sivakumar B, Kang NV, Paleolog EM, Arthritis Research & Therapy-2009 May 8;11(3):R64
- Angiogenesis and Plastic Surgery, Akhavani MA, Sivakumar B, Paleolog EM, ,Kang NV, J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2008, 61(12):1425-37
- Synovial Hypoxia as a Cause of Tendon Rupture in Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sivakumar B, Akhavani MA, Winlove CP, Taylor PC, Paleolog EM, Kang NV, J Hand Surg [Am]. 2008 Jan;33(1):49-58.
- Attitudes to blood transfusion post arthroplasty surgery in the UK – a nationwide survey, Young SW, Marsh D, Akhavani MA, Walker C, Skinner J, Int Orthop. 2008 Jun;32(3):325-9
- Chest wall reconstruction using a turbocharged chimaeric anterolateral thigh flap, Gore S, Akhavani MA, Chana J, Kang N, J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2008;61(4):438-41
- Pioneering research: shaping advances in health care, Akhavani MA, Alexander N, McLaughlin E, Coomer M, Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2008; 90:16–1
- Gene Expression Studies to Investigate Disease Mechanisms in RA: Does Angiogenesis Play a Role?, Larsen H, Akhavani MA, Raats Y, Paleolog E, Current Rheumatology Review, Volume 3,Number 4, November 2007. 243-251
- Circulating endothelial progenitor cells as a link between synovial vascularity and cardiovascular mortality in rheumatoid arthritis, Akhavani MA, Larsen H, Paleolog E, Scand J Rheumatol. 2007 Mar-Apr; 36(2):83-90
- The lymphocyte in inflammatory angiogenesis, Paleolog, E and Akhavani MA, Book entitled “Angiogenesis in Inflammation: Mechanisms and Clinical Correlates” p. 45-57, Editors: M. P. Seed and D. A. Walsh, Publisher: Birkhäuser-Verlag, June 2007
- Is there a role for angiogenesis inhibition in rheumatoid arthritis?, Akhavani MA and Paleolog E, Book entitled “New Research on Angiogenesis Inhibitors” p.23-54, ISBN: 1-60021-473-8, Publish date: May 2007
- Chest wall reconstruction using a Prolene/Hydroxyapatite Paste sandwich, Akhavani MA, Gore S, Kang N, Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007 Feb; 119(2):761-2
- The “Hamburger” technique for cartilage grafts in nipple reconstruction, Norton S, Akhavani MA, Kang N, J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2007; 60(8):957-9
- The role of hypoxia in rheumatoid hand disease, Akhavani MA, Paleolog E, Kang N, Journal of Hand Surgery: European Volume,Volume 32, Supplement 1,June 2007,Page 99
- Resuscitation of thermal injuries in the United Kingdom and Ireland, Baker RHJ, Akhavani MA, Jallali N, J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2007 Jun; 60(6):682-5
- Acute compartment syndrome of the forearm following intramuscular injection of an anabolic steroid, Akhavani MA, Pacifico MD, Kang NV, Injury Extra, Volume 37, Issue 11, November 2006, Pages 407-408
- An Unusual Case of Finger Clubbing, Akhavani MA, Sojitra NM, Gateley DR, Radiography, Vol 11 (4):November 2005, 284-285
- Steam inhalation treatment for croyzal children, Akhavani MA, Baker RHJ, BJGP , 2005 Jul; 55(516):557
- Use of heated humidified carbon dioxide insufflations and cytokine responses in laparoscopic surgery using a rodent model”. Surgical Research Society Abstracts Brit. J. Surg. 1998 , Akhavani MA, Puttick MI, Darzi A
- Prospective randomised clinical trial of intravenous fluid replacement during bowel preparation for surgery, Sanders G, Mercer SJ, Parsey K, Akhavani MA, Hosie K, Lambert AW, British Journal of Surgery, October 2001; 88(10)