Consultant Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgeon
Academic Visiting Fellow Orthopaedic Research Institute Bournemouth University
BSc(Hons), MBBS, MRCS, MSc(Oxf), FRCS (Tr&Orth)
Email address: Padmanabhan.firstname.lastname@example.org
PA/secretary phone number: 0208 375 1422
PA/secretary email address: email@example.com
Fax: 0208 375 1917
Mr Paddy Subramanian is a consultant orthopaedic surgeon specialising in hip and knee disorders. He has a special interest in hip and knee replacements including primary and revision surgery. He also performs hip and knee arthroscopies (key hole surgery).
In addition, Paddy undertakes a wide range of trauma surgery and in particular, he has an interest in treating patients who have sustained complex upper or lower limb injuries.
Paddy graduated from Imperial College and trained in the prestigious UCL & Middlesex orthopaedic rotation. During his training, he was awarded a scholarship to study at Oxford university where he undertook a MSc in musculoskeletal science.
He has completed his subspecialty training with Professor Middleton at the Royal Bournemouth Hospital, which is widely accepted as one of the UK’s highest volume arthroplasty (joint replacement) fellowships.
Before starting this consultant post, Paddy has over 5000 logged surgical cases including performing over 500 hip and knee replacements.
Paddy is broadly published including being the lead author in one of the most read articles in the British Medical Journal. He has presented nationally and internationally and has won numerous prizes.
He also maintains active involvement in audit, training and education.
- ACCEPTED 2019 Subramanian P, Bhadori S, Wainwright T, Middleton R: A review of the evolution of robotic-assisted total hip arthroplasty, Hip Int, 2019
- Sharma A, Subramanian P, Shah S, Remani M, Shahid M: A case report – Massive haemorrhagic blister formation following total knee arthroplasty, JRSM Open. 2018 May;9(5)
- Khan O; Malviya A, Subramanian P, Agolley D; Witt J: Minimally invasive periacetabular osteotomy using a modified Smith-Peterson approach: technique and early outcomes, Bone Joint J. 2017 Jan;99-B(1):22-28.
- Divani K, Subramanian P, Goldie B: Avoiding extensor tendon rupture after the use of palmar locking plates for distal radial fractures. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2015 Feb;40(2):215-6
- Pegrum J, Giannakakis N, Subramanian P, Abbas D, Pearce O Reduced leg lengthening found with a Modular Hip Hemiarthroplasty Stem versus the Monoblock Equivalent. J Trauma Treat 2014, 3: 186.
- Divani K, Subramanian P, Tsitskaris K, Crone D, Lamba M: Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture, JRSM Short Rep 2013 Oct 4;4(11)
- Tsitskaris K, Subramanian P, Crone D: Neglected patellar tendon rupture. Reconstruction using semitendinosis-gracilis tendon grafts and FiberWire augmentation. JRSM Short Rep. 2013 Aug; 4(8):2042533313490286
- Subramanian P, Goldie B: Biplanar Imaging for intramedullary nailing of the femur and tibia. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2013 Sep; 95(6):447
- Subramanian P, Joshi M, Shilston S, Wallace DA, Pearce OJ: Treatment of middle-third clavicle fractures using anterior plating with a Dynamic Compression Plate (DCP): Tech hand Up Extem Surg. 2013 Mar;17(1):35-6.
- Markeson D, Mughal M, Subramanian P, Iyer S. The Simple Wire Interosseous Fixation Technique (SWIFT) for reattachment of FDP avulsions with a large bony fragment.Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2012 Dec;16)4:220-4
- Subramanian P, Shilston S, Kantharuban S, Iyer S: Necrotizing Fasciitis post insertion of a cardiac pacemaker. J R Soc Med.2012 Nov;105(11):480-2
- Subramanian P, Kantharuban S,
- Shilston S, Pearce OJ. A 12-month review of a modified protocol using low dose Dabigatran Etexilate in postoperative thromboembolic prophylaxis in joint replacement surgery. Thromb J. 2012 Aug 17;10(1):14
- Subramanian P, Kantharuban S, Shilston S, Pearce OJ. Complications of Kirschner wire fixation in distal radius fractures. Tech hand Up Extrem Surg. 2012 Sep;16(3):120-3
- Subramanian P, C Willis-Owen: A cheap and readily available assistant. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2012 June;16(2):62-3
- Subramanian P, Kantharuban S, Subramanian V, Willis-Owen S, Willis-Owen CA. Orthopaedic Surgeons, strong as an ox and almost twice as clever. A multicentre prospective trial. BMJ 2011, 15;343:d7506
- Basu I, Subramanian P, Prime M, Jowett C, Levack B. The use of biochemical parameters as nutritional screening tools in surgical patients. Surg Science.SciRes. 2011
- Gordon DJ, Malhas A, Subramanian P, Houlihan-Burne D. Implementing the Rapid Recovery Programme in primary hip and knee arthroplasty in a UK state run hospital, Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol (2010) 21:151-158
- Iyer S, Subramanian P, Pabari A. A devastating complication of ‘skin popping’. The Surgeon, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.surge.2010.08.010
- Subramanian P, Beamish R, Soin B. An audit of the efficacy of electronic handover methods – patient safety recommendations. Br J Surg. 2010 (Published as an abstract)
- Pabari A, Subramanian P, Iyer S. A Simple technique for secure external fixation of hand fractures: Bent K wires wrapped in cement. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011 Jan;64(1):136-7 PRAS 2010; (Letter to editor)
- Willis-Owen CA, Subramanian P, Houlihan-Burne D. Do patients understand the changes in the way doctors dress? J Hosp Infec 2010(75)136-47 (Letter to editor)
- Willis-Owen CA, Subramanian P, Houlihan-Burne D. Effects of ‘bare below the elbows’ policy on hand contamination of 92 hospital doctors in a district general hospital, J Hosp Infec. 2010; 16
- Subramanian P, Willis-Owen CA, Houlihan-Burne D. Bare Below the elbows, what patients think; Bul R Coll Surg Engl. 2010
- Subramanian P, Metcalfe MJ, Chadwick SJ, Vaughn D. A technical tip: Hand in glove. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2009; 91 (5) 438 - 9
- Subramanian P, Willis-Owen CA, Houlihan-Burne D. A deceptive appearance of a medial meniscus in a 14 year old boy. Cases J. 2009;2:16