What’s new on My RFL Care?
Visit this page to find out what’s new on My RFL Care patient portal and how to use the new features.
Use My RFL Care to reschedule or cancel your appointments
You can now use My RFL Care to reschedule or cancel your appointments with the following services:
- General surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Therapy services
Please note, not all appointment can be managed through My RFL Care, but many will be able to.
Reschedule or cancel your appointments directly on My RFL Care: new features coming soon
This winter, new interactive features will be added to My RFL Care, which will allow you to self-manage some of your appointments.
For certain upcoming appointments, you’ll have the option to either change the time/date of your appointment or cancel it directly on My RFL Care.
My RFL Care works directly with our hospital systems and will let us know of a change you want to make. You’ll receive confirmation of the change you have requested by text message, and if for any reason the change you would like to make can’t be made, we’ll let you know.
This is an alternative way to making changes to your appointments, and you can continue to call our booking centre/service or use our website form to make a change.
Who will this be available to?
This new feature will be available to a small group of patients with an upcoming general surgery or colorectal surgery appointment at first.
It will be introduced to more services and different appointment types as time goes by.
How will I know if it’s available to me?
You can check this by logging in to the portal.
When you click on a specific upcoming appointment you have, you’ll see a screen similar to this if you can manage it:
If you can’t, the button to change or cancel your appointment will be greyed out. What this means is the feature isn’t yet available for that service, or it is an appointment type that can’t be managed on the portal. In those cases, we’ll advise you on My RFL Care of who to contact to make a change.
Your questions answered
1. How do I change the date or time of an appointment?
Once you have logged in to My RFL Care you can do this by selecting the relevant appointment in the My Appointments list and using the Change date or time feature. To see how this is done you can watch this video or follow the steps below:
If you do not have the My Appointments page displayed, you can:
- Select the Menu icon in the top right corner
- Select the My Appointments from the menu
On the My Appointments page:
- Find the appointment you want to change and select Manage
- In the appointment detail screen select Change date or time
- You will be presented with a screen providing information about changing your appointment. If agreeable, select Yes, change appointment
- You will then be presented with months that have availability for you, with the number of available appointments displayed below
- Select the appropriate month, day, time
- You are then presented with a confirmation screen from which you can either Confirm new appointment or Cancel, keep original appointment
- If you confirm that you would like to change your appointment, you will be presented with a confirmation page which will display your new appointment date and time
You will also be sent an SMS text message as a confirmation of the change.
2. How do I cancel my appointment?
Once you have logged in to My RFL Care you can do this by selecting the appropriate appointment in the My Appointments list and using the Change date or time feature. To see how it's done, you can follow the steps below:
If you do not have the My Appointments list displayed:
- Select the Menu icon in the top right corner
- Select My Appointments from the menu
Once on the My Appointments page:
- In the My Appointments list, find the appointment you want to cancel
- Then select Manage
- In the appointments detail screen select Cancel Appointment
- You will then be presented with an information page confirming that you would like to cancel your appointment. If agreeable click Yes, cancel my appointment
- You are then presented with options asking you to explain why you want to cancel the appointment. Select the appropriate option
- You are then presented with a further confirmation screen. If agreeable select Yes, I want to cancel my appointment
- You will then be presented with a page confirming your cancellation
To accompany the appointment cancellation, you will also be sent an SMS text message advising you that you have a new letter from us. By selecting the link in the SMS text message, you can view the letter confirming the cancellation of the appointment.
You can only cancel certain types of appointments online. We will be extending the range of appointments that can be cancelled over time.
3. Why can I rearrange/cancel some appointments and not others?
Most of your out-patient appointments in general surgery and colorectal surgery can be managed on RFL Care, but not all.
You will not be able to manage appointments that your clinician feels need to happen quickly, or appointments that have been booked through the NHS e-Referral Service Choose and Book system.
If you are not able to manage an appointment, My RFL Care will let you know and advise you who to contact.
4. I can't reschedule my appointment – what should I do?
There are a few reasons why this may happen:
- The appointment may be one that your clinician feels is important for you to attend as planned – to make a change to this, you would need to be speak to your service/booking centre
- It may be an NHS E-Referral Choose and Book appointment – unfortunately at this time, these are not able to be managed through the patient portal. You will be provided with instructions of who to contact should this be the case
- There are no other appointment slots to choose from
- There may be a technical issue – if this is the case, you will see an error page which will explain what you need to do.
5. I cancelled my appointment by accident – what should I do?
If you cancelled your appointment by accident, please call the out-patients appointment centre on 020 7443 9757. You can call during opening times (Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm) to reschedule your appointment. Alternatively, you can use our contact us form.
6. Do I need to contact the hospital to make you aware of any changes I made via My RFL Care?
You do not need to contact the hospital regarding any changes you made on My RFL Care. Your hospital record will be updated automatically.
7. How do I know the changes I have made have worked/you're aware of them?
Each time you make a change on My RFL Care, you will receive an SMS text message confirming the action you have taken. You will also be shown an updated screen on the portal.
If the action to change or cancel has not completed for a technical reason, you will be advised that your request is either sitting with us to look into, or who to contact for further advice.
8. Is there a limit to the number of changes I can make?
You can only request to cancel or change the time/date of an appointment one time. If you need to make more changes to the same appointment, you will need to contact the out-patient appointment centre or the service your appointment was booked for. The details should be available at the top of your appointment letter.
9. Am I able to turn off appointment management features?
You cannot turn the appointment management features off. However, you do not need to use them if you do not wish to. You can still call our booking centre or use our website form to make a change to your appointment if you prefer.
10. Who do I contact if I have a question about my appointment?
If you have a question about your appointment, please contact the out-patient appointment centre on 0207443 9757 during opening times (Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm).
11. Can I still call the hospital or use the online web form to make a change?
Yes. You do not have to use My RFL Care to manage your appointments. You can either:
- Use our web contact form
- Call the out-patient appointment centre or your service directly