Benefits advice and help claiming benefits

At the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust we have social workers who can answer questions about claiming benefits while you, your family or the person you care for are receiving hospital care at Barnet Hospital, Chase Farm Hospital or the Royal Free Hospital.

Seeing social workers at our London hospitals

To contact a social worker at the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, please call 020 7794 0500 (extension 33644) between 9am and 5pm on weekdays.
Our social workers can assess your needs and arrange the appropriate services while you receive medical care. They can also answer questions about claiming benefits while in hospital.

Will I still be able to receive my state pension while I'm in hospital?

Yes. If you have no relatives to pick up your pension, the hospital's cashier office can collect it on your behalf. Please ask a nurse to help you.

Can I still claim benefits when in hospital?

Benefits are often still payable while you are receiving hospital care, but there are exceptions. Please ask your local Department of Work and Pensions Office if you have any queries.

Benefits advice at the bedside

Jobcentre Plus now provides a bedside service at the Royal Free. This service is set up for  patients who are staying in one of our hospitals who would like to discuss or enquire about claiming benefits. Surgeries are held fortnightly on Thursdays. In-patients who would like a visit from the service can request this through hospital ward staff who will complete the referral form. They will then fax it to the patient advice and liaison service who will in turn pass all referrals to Jobcentre plus before any surgery dates.

Can I get a medical certificate as proof of my stay in hospital?

If your employer or the Department of Work and Pensions require a medical certificate as proof of your stay in hospital, please ask a nurse.

More information about claiming benefits can be found here.