Nicotine gum contains nicotine which helps to reduce the cravings from cigarettes. This allows you to continue with breaking the psychological habit of smoking. The nicotine is released from the gum and absorbed into the bloodstream from the inside lining of your mouth.
Strength: The gum is available in 2mg and 4mg
Which strength gum is suitable for me?
The 2mg gum is suitable for people who smoke less than 20 cigarettes a day and the 4mg gum is suitable for people who smoke more than 20 cigarettes per day.
How do I use nicotine gum?
- Chew the gum for a few minutes until the taste is strong and the gum is soft.
- Rest the gum between your cheek and the lining of your gum. You may feel a hot sensation. This is nicotine getting absorbed into your blood stream. When the hot sensation begins to disappear, chew the gum again and put back into your cheeks.
- After 30 minutes spit out the gum.
- DO NOT chew the gum continuously as this will stop the nicotine from being absorbed
How often should I use the gum?
Use the gum whenever you have a craving or in anticipation of a craving. If you are experiencing an intense craving then you can use two pieces of gum at the same time.
Disadvantages of the gum
- Smokers who wear dentures may find that the gum sticks to the dentures and therefore gum may not be suitable for these smokers.
- You cannot eat or drink whilst the gum is in your mouth as it will reduce its effectiveness by decreasing the amount of nicotine absorbed.
- Use of the gum can cause hiccups and wind.
Is it safe to use if I am pregnant?
Most nicotine gum is safe to use in pregnancy, however women who are pregnant should NOT use the liquorice flavoured gum.
Which different flavours are available?
There are many different flavours such as original, minty flavours, fruit and liquorice (different flavours are made by different companies).
Congratulations to our long service staff
We are pleased to announce an exciting new role within the cross site antenatal and newborn screening team. Find ou… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
We require a dynamic process driven nurse manager/leader for the Planned Investigation and Treatment Unit [PITU] to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…