At the heart of our research activity lies the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust research and development department; providing support to our investigators and research teams to ensure research is delivered safely, ethically and efficiently.
The team is led by director of research and development, Prof. Adele Fielding, and two deputy directors, Dr. Ameet Bakhai (clinical) and Mr. Farhan Naim (operations).
The research support team are located in the trust’s main research and development office located at the Royal Free Hospital, with another office at Chase Farm Hospital. The support team operate to allow our investigators to use their time well and focus on their main priority of delivering research.
The key research support activities provided are:
- promoting and developing a research culture within the trust and working to embed research into normal patient care
- checking that research can be delivered safely, on-time and on target
- setting up studies and making sure they are compliant with UK and EU law and are conducted to international good clinical practice (GCP) guidelines
- managing research budgets and advising on funding opportunities, grant applications and other aspects of research finance and contracting
- supporting patients and inviting them to be involved in research
We are also a founding partner of the UCLH, UCL and Royal Free joint research office.