Dr Ahmed is a consultant haematologist at the Royal Free Hospital. He completed training in haematology at the Bart’s and the London Hospitals. Post accreditation he worked at St Marys Hospital and Kings College Hospital gaining experience in blood disorders like myelodysplasia and bone marrow failure syndromes.
More recently he has worked at University College London Hospital treating patients with Chronic Leukaemias like CLL and other lymphoproliferative disorders.
He has extensive research interests having conducted full-time research at the Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, Oxford (2001-2004), completing his Ph.D thesis in molecular haematology. He currently runs a dedicated weekly anaemia and rare anaemia clinic at Royal Free Hospital. Momin Ahmed is research active in the area of red cell disorders, molecular haematology and personalised medicine. He has published many papers in peer-reviewed journals.
• CD44 as a potential screening marker for preliminary differentiation between congenital dyserythropoietic anemia type II and hereditary spherocytosis. Cytometry B Clin Cytom. 2016 Oct 26. doi: 10.1002/cyto.b.21488
• High concordance of genomic and cytogenetic aberrations between peripheral blood and bone marrow in myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS). Leukemia. 2015 Sep;29(9):1928-38.
• Homozygous mutations in a predicted endonuclease are a novel cause of congenital dyserythropoietic anemia type I. Haematologica. 2013 Sep;98(9):1383-7.
• Single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) analysis demonstrates a significant association of tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNFA) with primary immune thrombocytopenia among Caucasian adults. Haematology. 2011 Jul;16(4):243-48.
• Frequency of congenital dyserythropoietic anaemias in Europe. Eur J Hematol. 2010 Jul;85(1):20-5
• Understanding aplastic anaemia / bone marrow failure syndromes. Paediatrics and Child Health. August 2009. Vol. 19, Issue 8, Pages 351-357.
• Natural history of GATA1 mutations in Down syndrome. Blood. 2004 Apr 1;103(7):2480-9.
• Global down-regulation of HOX gene expression in PML-RARalpha + acute promyelocytic leukaemia identified by small-array real-time PCR. Blood. 2003 Feb 15;101(4):1558-65.
Research interests include rare anaemias and inherited bone marrow failure symptoms.