Dr Robertson trained for several years in surgery before embarking on a career in radiology.
She was awarded two international fellowships during her radiology training, and spent nine months at Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital in New York City, USA, and 12 months at St Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver, Canada, where she undertook specialist training in musculoskeletal radiology.
During this time, Dr Robertson presented work at international conferences and had multiple papers published in peer-reviewed journals. She continues to collaborate with colleagues in both the USA and Canada.
Dr Robertson works closely with orthopaedic surgeons and rheumatologists to diagnose and treat a wide range of musculoskeletal pathology. She regularly performs a wide range of image guided musculoskeletal interventional procedures and injections.
Dr Robertson lives in London and is a sports enthusiast, giving her first-hand experience of musculoskeletal injury.
• Extra-capsular extension on MRI indicates a more aggressive cell cycle progression genotype of prostate cancer. Wibmer AG, Robertson NL, Hricak H et al. Abdominal Radiology, Apr 2019
• Non-traumatic myelopathy associated with prolonged hyperextension during swimming: an unusual variation of Surfer’s Myelopathy. Green E, Zishan U, Robertson NL et al. Spinal Cord Series and Cases. Feb 2018
• Prostate cancer detection using quantitative T2 and T2-weighted imaging: The effects of 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors in men on active surveillance. Giganti F. Gambarota G, Moore CM, Robertson NL et al. J Magn Reson Imaging. Jun 2018
• Combined whole-body and dedicated multi-parametric prostate MRI as a single-step approach to evaluate prostate cancer in patients with suspected or known metastatic disease. N Robertson, H Hricak, A Vargas et al. MSKCC. The Journal of Urology, Feb 2017
• Radiological response and inflammation scores predict tumour recurrence in patients treated with transarterial chemoembolization before liver transplantation. D Nicolini, A Agostini, R Montalti, N Robertson et al. World Journal of Gastroenterology. May 2017
• MRI findings in men on active surveillance for prostate cancer: does dutasteride make MRI visible lesions less conspicuous? Results from a placebo-controlled, randomised clinical trial. F Giganti, C Moore, N Robertson et al. European Urology. May 2017
• The effect of dutasteride on MRI-defined prostate cancer lesions – a randomized placebo-controlled, double-blind trial (MAPPED) – C Moore, N Robertson, M Emberton et al. The Journal of Urology. Apr 2017
• Predicting extensive disease among potential candidates for hemi-ablative focal therapy for prostate cancer. T Takeda, A Tin, R Corradi, M Mamoor, N Robertson et al. The Journal of Urology, April 2017
• Is there a role for FDG-PET/CT in the management of Vulvar and Vaginal Cancer? N Robertson, A Vargas, H Hricak et al. MSKCC. Gynaecologic Oncology, Jan 2016
• The performance of PI-RADSv2 and quantitative apparent diffusion coefficient for predicting confirmatory prostate biopsy findings in patients considered for active surveillance of prostate cancer. S Nougaret, N Robertson, J Pernicka et al. Abdominal Radiology. Feb 2017
• MRI-targeted prostate biopsy: a review of technique and results. Robertson NL, Emberton M, Moore CM. Nature Reviews Urology. Oct 2013
• Prostate cancer risk inflation as a consequence of image-targeted biopsy of the prostate: a computer simulation study. Robertson NL, Hu Y, Ahmed HU et al European Urology. Mar 2014
• Image-Guided Prostate Biopsy Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging-Derived Targets: A Systematic Review. Moore CM & Robertson NL, Arsanious N, Emberton et al. European Urology. Jan 2013
• MAPPED study design: A 6-month randomised controlled study to evaluate the effect of dutasteride on prostate cancer volume using magnetic resonance imaging. Robertson NL, Moore CM, Ambler G, et al. Contemporary Clinical Trials. Jan 2013
• Re: Magnetic resonance imaging/ultrasound fusion guided prostate biopsy improves cancer detection following trans-rectal ultrasound biopsy and correlates with multi-parametric magnetic resonance imaging: P.A. Pinto et al. Robertson NL, Moore CM, Emberton M. The Journal of Urology. Apr 2012
Dr Robertson coordinated four research projects as a chief research fellow, and had multiple papers published in international peer-reviewed journals. In 2010-2011, she worked at University College London and University College Hospital London with Prof Mark Emberton. During this time, Dr Robertson coordinated two clinical trials:
• mapped (MRI in primary prostate cancer after exposure to dutasteride 0.5mg)
• a European randomised phase three study to assess the efficacy and safety of TOOKAD soluble for localised prostate cancer compared to active surveillance
Dr Robertson further specialised in MRI-targeted biopsy of the prostate gland in men at risk of prostate cancer