Mr Ammar Al Midani is a consultant surgeon who specialises in renal transplants, vascular access surgery including complex graft and repair of fistula alongside laparoscopic peritoneal dialysis catheter insertion APKD nephrectomies and abdominal wall reconstruction/ incisional hernias for renal patients.
He is also an honorary associate professor at University College London (UCL), delivering renal & transplant teaching to medical students and leading the year 4 renal surgical teaching. At the Royal College of Surgeons of England, he is an MRCS examiner and faculty on the RCS surgical courses (START and CCrISP) and course director at Royal Free Hospital.
In the last 10 years at the Royal Free, he performed more than 2000 different operations and his clinical interests are in complex renal transplant and vascular access surgery, comprehensive management of renal transplant recipients and continuity of care by creating the optimum access, uneventful kidney transplant surgery and follow up post-transplant.
In addition, he is interested in the management of morbid obesity before and after renal transplant and to have better access to transplantation.
Mr Ammar Al Midani also leads the renal pre-transplant metabolic (weight loss) clinic.
English, Arabic, and French
• Goal directed haemodyanmic therapy improves patient outcomes in kidney transplantation. Fabes, Jez; Al Midani, Ammar; Sarna, Aman; Hadi, Dina; Naji, Saqib; Banga, Neal; Jones, Gareth; Berry, Peter; Wittenberg, Marc. Prog Transplant 2023 Mar 20;15269248231164165.
• Coronary stent-graft use to salvage a juxta-anastomotic arterial rupture complicating a case of radio-cephalic. Zhiyuan Lin, Neha Kallam, Ruhaid Khurram, Ammar Al Midani & Mohamed Khalifa. Case report CVIR Endovascular published on 20th August 2022.
• Assessment of the potential transplant recipient. Heidy Hendra, David Mathew, Jeff Cove, Paramjit Jeetley, Clare Melikian, Aneesa Jaffer & Ammar Al Midani. Book Chapter, Primer on Nephrology, published on 28/05/2022 by Springer.
• The value of perfusion fluid culture analysis in deceased donor renal transplants: a 10-year single-center experience. Ammar Al Midani, Lauren Hookham, Neal Banga, Gareth Jones, Sophie Collier Transplant Proceeding 2021 May 4;S0041-1345(21)00214-1
• Stomach in a parastomal hernia: a rare complication of stomas. Onyekachi Ezekiel Ekowo, Ammar Al Midani , Yasser Abdulaal , Mohamed Boshnaq BMJ Case Rep .2020 Aug 18;13(8):e234325.
• A rare presentation of e. Coli necrotising fasciitis in renal transplantation. Lucinda Cruddas, Ammar Al Midani, Neal Banga, Gareth Jones and Peter Butler. Experimental and Clinical Transplantation. 2019 Jan 21. doi: 10.6002/ect.2018.0316.
• Low dose aspirin reduces the rate of renal allograft thrombosis in paediatric renal transplant recipients. Almidani A, Rudarakanchana N, Nagra A, Fidan K, Tugtepe H, Matthias M, Ridout D, Kessaris N, Experimental and Clinical Transplantation (ECT). 9 Aug 2019.
• Vascular stapler for transection of pancreatic parenchyma in laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy: a single centre experience of 42 consecutive cases. Samir J. Sahay, Panagis M. Lykoudis, Ammar Al-Midani, Adam Haswell MBBS, Sakhawat H. Rahman. Am Surg.2019 Jun 1;85(6):e275-e276.
• The use of thromboelastography (teg) to guide platelet infusion in patient with wiskott-aldrichsyndrome (was) undergoing renal transplantation. Ammar Almidani, Ciara Donohue; Peter Berry; Gareth Jones; Bimbi Fernando. Accepted for publication by Experimental and Clinical Transplantation (ECT), 7 April 2020.
• Impact of urinary tract infections in kidney transplant recipients: a 4-year single-center experience. Ammar Al Midani, Sophie Elands, Sophie Collier, Mark Harber, Ali M Shendi. Transplant Proceeding, 2018 Dec;50(10):3351-3355. * Dmsa spect scan of dual transplanted pediatric kidneys in an adult recipient. Almidani A, Parvathareddy S, Al-Akraa M, Buscombe J, Burns A.,Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2011 Jan;22(1):139-41.
• Fulminant hepatitis following primary herpes simplex virus infection. Al Midani A, Pinney J, Field N, Atkinson C, Haque T, Harber M.,Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2011 Jan;22(1):107-11. * Congenital hypoplasia of the right common iliac artery in a renal transplant recipient.Almidani A, Attar RA, Ahmad A, Othman MI, Bargouth I. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2010 Nov;21(6):1137-9. * The management of urological complications in renal transplant patients. Al-Shaer MB,, Al-Midani A. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transplant 2005; 16(2): 176-180. Citation in 2013-2015.