From 25 October 2021, the existing central London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) expanded to create a single larger zone up to, but not including the North Circular Road (A406) and South Circular Road (A205).
This means that visitors to our Royal Free London hospitals may need to pay the £12.50 charge – if your vehicle doesn’t meet the ULEZ emission standards. You can find out more and check whether your vehicle meets the requirements here.
Patients who are eligible for reimbursement of the ULEZ charge
Patients who need to travel to our Royal Free London hospitals who are not compliant with the emission standards can reclaim the ULEZ charge if they match the following criteria:
Patients who are clinically assessed as disabled or too ill to travel on public transport, are eligible for reimbursement. This includes patients who:
- have a compromised immune system,
- require regular therapy or assessment, or
- recurrent surgical intervention
- or are clinically assessed as being at moderate or high risk from COVID-19.
How to reclaim the ULEZ charge if you are eligible
- Please pay the charge in the usual way via the Transport for London (TfL) website: TfL recommends paying on the day you travel, not in advance, in case you can’t attend or your appointment is cancelled.
- Keep your ULEZ charge receipt or make a note of the receipt number.
- Ask for a ‘ULEZ charge patient claim form’ when you arrive in the department for your appointment.
- Ask the doctor or healthcare professional who you are seeing to complete the form.
- Take the form, your ULEZ charging receipt (or receipt number) and vehicle registration number to the cashiers office at the hospital - locations are listed below:
Barnet Hospital - level three, next door to pathology lab
Chase Farm Hospital - ground floor, opposite main entrance
Royal Free Hospital - lower ground floor opposite the restaurant.
Four out of five cars already meet the ULEZ emissions standards. The expansion of the zone is part of a commitment to help every Londoner breathe cleaner air.