We are pleased to announce that Peter Landstrom has been appointed the new group chief executive of the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust (RFL).
Peter has been the acting chief executive since May, after he joined the trust in 2022 as group chief delivery officer and deputy group chief executive.
He has held a number of senior leadership roles and has a strong NHS operational background. He said taking on the role was ‘an enormous privilege’.
Mark Lam, chair of the RFL, said: “On behalf of the board, I’m delighted to welcome Peter as the new RFL group chief executive. During his time at the trust, Peter has been instrumental in setting a clear vision and direction for our organisation with a focus on ensuring our patients get the very best of the NHS when they walk through our doors. This includes a relentless focus on our performance amid the ongoing pressures faced by our trust and the entire NHS.
“I look forward to continuing to work closely with Peter as he leads the Royal Free London into the next chapter of its history. Along with the board of directors, I wish him every success.”
The Royal Free London has set its clinical strategy for the future with an emphasis on cardiovascular care; cancer; and organ failure and transplantation; as well as developing local priorities for each of its sites.
The trust is also working closely with health and social care partners to improve the physical, mental and social wellbeing of the communities it serves.
Peter said: “It is an enormous privilege and honour to take on this role. Since I started at the Royal Free London, I have been struck by just how much pride every single member of staff has in their services and by their absolute dedication to patients, our organisation and to each other.
“The challenges faced by the NHS are very real, but our commitment to providing clinical excellence with research at the heart of everything we do, alongside best in class education and training for our staff, means we have cause for optimism for the future. I look forward to working with colleagues and our partners to deliver world class care for our patients.”
Peter Landstrom CV
- Peter Landstrom was appointed as Royal Free London's acting group chief executive on 16 May 2023.
- Peter joined the Royal Free London in April 2022 from his previous role as chief delivery and strategy officer for University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust.
- A graduate of Cardiff University, Peter started his career as a management consultant in PricewaterhouseCoopers, before joining the NHS in 2003.
- He worked in Cardiff and Vale University Health Board for more than 10 years and held senior operational management roles across community, secondary and tertiary services, including leadership at a national level for several specialist services in Wales.
- In 2015 he joined Western Sussex Hospitals, where he was chief operating officer, before going on in 2017 to be appointed as one of the group executives of both the Western and Brighton, and Sussex trusts, and leading on their merger in 2021.