Our fetal medicine unit is on the 5th floor of the Royal Free Hospital and has a specialist team made up of fetal medicine consultants and specialist midwives who offer pregnancy care for women and families when there is a concern for your unborn baby.
Our fetal medicine unit diagnoses and manages:
- chromosomal abnormalities, such as Down's syndrome
- chromosomal and genetic syndromes, such as chorionic villus sampling (CVS)/amniocentesis
- genetic conditions
- structural fetal defects
- fetal conditions requiring surgical follow-up after birth
- significant fetal cardiac anomalies
- fetal growth restriction with the use of ultrasound doppler examination
- twin and higher multiple pregnancies
- pregnancies affected by red cell antibody incompatibility.
If you are asked to attend the fetal medicine unit you will be scanned by one of our fetal medicine consultants using the latest ultrasound equipment. You and your family will be counselled prior to the appointment and any findings will be discussed with you in detail. We will also help make a clear plan for your future pregnancy care.
Walking for Windrush - NHS 70