Our birth centres offer you a relaxed and friendly environment for the birth of your baby. All forms of pain relief are available, with the exception of an epidural.
Women planning to give birth at the Royal Free London can choose to give birth in any one of our three birth centres:
- Barnet Birth Centre at Barnet Hospital
- Edgware Birth Centre at Edgware Community Hospital
- The Heath Birth Centre at the Royal Free Hospital
If you are healthy and your pregnancy is straightforward the evidence says you should give birth at home or in a birth centre.
- Self-refer to have your baby at the Royal Free London
- Watch our short video about our maternity services
Advantages of giving birth at a birth centre
- You are more likely to have a normal birth
- You are more likely to have access to a birthing pool to labour or birth
- You are less likely to need intervention
- You are less likely to have vaginal or perineal tears
- You are more likely to be satisfied with your care
- You are less likely to need pain relieving drugs for labour
We also provide a wide range of birthing balls, bean bags, birthing stools and other aids to support women giving birth in our birth centres.
Considerations when giving birth at a birth centre
- 30% of women in pregnancy are likely to be transferred to a consultant led unit
- 12% of women are likely to be transferred by ambulance to a consultant led unit in labour
Delivering pathways to better health
15 November is International Stop Pressure Ulcers Day. Wear a red dot, start the conversation around preventing pre… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Barnet Emergency Department is an exciting place to work. We are passionate about getting it right for patients and… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
EPR is going live at Barnet Hospital, Chase Farm Hospital and the maternity and emergency departments at the Royal… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…