Immunology is the study of the immune system. The clinical immunology department at the Royal Free London specialises in adult immunodeficiency. Adult immunodeficiency refers to people whose immune systems are not working properly.
Our team of medical consultants, specialist registrars, specialist nurses and clinical psychologist offer a range of services including:
- Investigation of people who may have immunodeficiency. This is usually someone who is getting many infections.
- Lifelong management of patients with proven immunodeficiency either due to genetic causes or secondary to other illness and treatments except HIV. See sexual health and HIV.
- Replacement therapy with immunoglobulins (antibodies) for people whose immune systems are unable to make enough of their own antibodies, including training for patients to infuse at home.
- Specialist clinics for immunodeficiency patients with respiratory or gastrointestinal complications.
- Transitional care for young adults with immunodeficiency moving from children (paediatric) to adult services.
- The largest adult Chronic Granulomatous Disease clinic in the country.
- Psychological support for people with immunodeficiency.
- Management of in-patients who have been hospitalised with complications arising from primary immunodeficiency.
The department also works closely with colleagues from other specialties to provide advice on immunology, including on the results of tests from the immunology laboratory.
Do you have an appointment?
The Royal Free Hospital
Patient enquiries: 020 7830 2141
Fax: 020 7830 2224
Clinic and appointment enquiries: 020 7443 9757
Referrals are accepted from GPs by letter, fax or the choose and book system. We also accept referrals from other hospitals or medical professionals by letter, fax or phone. Medical professionals may contact one of the doctors on the team by phone via the main hospital telephone number for advice or if a patient needs seeing urgently.
Please note that we are unable to accept referrals for allergy.
Phone number: 020 7794 0500 ext 34906
Email address: email@example.com
Fax: 020 7743 1943
Reader and consultant in immunology
Phone number: 020 7794 0500 ext 34519/35161/36662
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com
Fax: 020 7830 2224
Consultant clinical immunologist
Phone number: 020 7830 2141
Email address: David.Lowe7@nhs.net
Head of clinical immunology and appointed governor representing University College London
Phone number: 020 7794 0500 ext 33321
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
PA/secretary phone number: 020 7794 0500 ext 36662
PA/secretary email address: email@example.com
Read our patient leaflets and publications
.pdf (371 KB)
.pdf (520 KB)
.pdf (318 KB)