Occupational therapy for neurology patients at Barnet, Chase Farm and the Royal Free hospitals
The occupational therapy (OT) team at the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust is a specialist team that provides focused care to rehabilitate patients with neurological conditions such as stroke, Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
Our occupational therapists assess how neurological conditions affect our patients’ capabilities and provide solutions to help our patient’s complete everyday tasks, like:
- self-care, which includes washing, dressing, and eating
- work, which may be paid or unpaid
- leisure, including socialising and hobbies.
The role of Royal Free neuro occupational therapists
Our team of occupational therapists works with Royal Free patients at Barnet, Chase Farm and the Royal Free hospitals across the following key areas:
- Preventing deterioration, for example splinting a patient’s arms to prevent long-term stiffness or muscle loss, due to conditions like muscular dystrophy.
- Determining the most appropriate body positions for everyday movements, such as sitting and lying.
- Assessing a patient’s ability to carry out daily activities and identifying any difficulties which may impact their everyday life outside of the hospital.
- Supporting and advising our patients, their families and carers regarding our services, and how to manage an existing condition – now and in the future.
Ongoing neurological rehabilitation after leaving the Royal Free London
If further rehabilitation is required our occupational therapists will work to determine what type of treatment would be most appropriate. This may involve further care at home or in another hospital / specialist unit.
Occupational therapy after discharge from our hospitals
When our patients are fit to go home our occupational therapists may complete a home visit to see if help is needed with daily tasks, such as meal preparation, then provide help or equipment if required.
Find out more about our specialist neuroscience services in the left hand navigation.
Achievement award for healthy trust
We require a dynamic process driven nurse manager/leader for the Planned Investigation and Treatment Unit [PITU] to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…