Neurological speech and language therapy at the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust
The Royal Free speech and language therapy (SLT) team treats patients with speech and language problems that have neurological causes. Facilities are based on the neurosciences wards, ITU wards and some general wards at our three London hospitals, Barnet, Chase Farm and the Royal Free Hospital. We also offer an in-patient service at the Marie Foster Centre based in Barnet.
Patients helped by our speech and language therapy at Barnet, Chase Farm and the Royal Free Hospital:
• Patients with undiagnosed speech or swallowing conditions, with suspected neurological causes, like stroke or multiple sclerosis (MS).
• Patients whose cranial nerves have been affected due to disease or surgery.
• Patients with movement disorders that affect communication or swallowing.
• Patients with communication or swallowing problems due to stroke.
• Patients with early cognitive decline that is affecting communication, due to conditions like Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
• Patients dependant on ventilators or tracheostomy tubes who require assessment or help to communicate or swallow.
• Patients requiring assessment or management of communication technologies that can help their language or speech problems.
• Patients who are minimally conscious, who require physiotherapy to help them swallow or communicate.
• Patients requiring evaluation of their swallowing using videofluoroscopy (VFS) or fibre-optic endoscopes (FEES).
• Any other patient with neurological communication or swallowing problems.
Continuing patient support after discharge from Royal Free hospitals
Some patients require support after leaving our London hospitals. All patients that require on-going support with speech or swallowing problems will be referred to a local speech and language therapy team (or other appropriate service) with a copy of hospital reports sent to their GP.
Find out more about our specialist neuroscience services in the left hand navigation.
London needs more than 500 new platelet donors to help cancer patients. Platelets are blood cells that are crucial… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
At each of our London hospitals, we ensure that we are welcoming, respectful, reassuring and communicative. Our val… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
We will be holding a nursing recruitment open day at Barnet Hospital on Saturday 6 October from 10.30 am to 2pm. Dr… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…