CKD clinics in central London
We offer a renal nurse- and kidney specialist-led service at our Royal Free London clinics providing expert nursing care to patients with advanced and progressive chronic kidney disease (CKD). All of our CKD treatment is handled according to our commitment to the best possible patient experience.
The specialist renal nurses and doctors in the team work alongside dieticians, social workers, psychologists, your GP, and of course you and your family or carer, to manage your kidney problems.
Chronic kidney disease: what kidney problems do you treat?
We provide treatment for many CKD related kidney problems in our clinics, such as:
- further monitoring and stabilisation of your kidney function
- management of any associated symptoms or complications you may have
- blood count management
- your general health and wellbeing
- preparation for kidney dialysis
- assessing whether you are physically fit enough for a kidney transplant
- help and advice if you choose not to have dialysis.
What happens at my first CKD clinic appointment?
Upon attending your first appointment a specialist renal nurse will meet you and talk you through a set of initial tests. These are vital in helping us diagnose your kidney problem so we can develop a specific treatment plan that works for you. As well as having your blood pressure taken, you may also have one of the following:
- Urine test
- Blood test
- Kidney biopsy (a minute sample of the kidney carried out under local anaesthetic. This can usually be carried out in the day ward meaning the patient doesn’t require an overnight stay)
- Kidney scan (an ultrasound scan can help us evaluate the size of the kidneys and whether or not there are any obstructions, stones or scarring)
Please remember to bring any medications that you may be taking to your first appointment.
Where are the Royal Free London CKD clinics held?
Our clinics for treating kidney problems that are a result of chronic kidney disease are run at Barnet Hospital and the Royal Free Hospital.
We also have clinics at:
- Edgware Kidney Care Centre
- St. Pancras Kidney and Diabetes Centre
- Tottenham Hale Kidney and Diabetes Centre
The Royal Free Hospital clinics are at 10 South and 10 East, on the 10th floor of the hospital. Visiting hours are usually between 2pm and 8pm.
Congratulations to our long service staff
We are pleased to announce an exciting new role within the cross site antenatal and newborn screening team. Find ou… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
We require a dynamic process driven nurse manager/leader for the Planned Investigation and Treatment Unit [PITU] to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…