Information leaflets in different languages and other formats
Along with the advice you are provided by your midwife/doctor and the information on our website, several organisations have produced important information leaflets for women and families in different languages to support women during their pregnancy.
You can find these here:
- MAMA Academy: Provides essential information about pregnancy in 11 different languages:
- Public Health England: The ‘Screening tests for you and your baby’ leaflet is available in a number of community languages at:
- Tommy’s: Information on ‘monitoring your baby's movements’ (also referred to as 'fetal movement', 'reduced fetal movement' and 'feeling your baby move') is available in English (written and audio) and 30 different languages:
- Labour Pains: Information about pain relief for labour and when having a caesarian section in up to 29 languages at:
- Action on Pre-Eclampsia: Information about pre-eclampsia is available on this charity’s website in 25 different languages:
- UNICEF: Breastfeeding, formula feeding and sterilizing feeding equipment information is available in 18 languages at:
- The Lullaby Trust: Information on safer sleeping for babies is available in different languages and easy read at:
Our leaflets in other languages
You have a right to an interpreter at all of your appointments and during your care in hospital. Staff can access our interpreting service, which is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. If you do not speak English and need to have an interpreter for your appointment, please let your midwife or doctor know.
Most interpreting is now accessed via the telephone on the ward or clinic, and where needed we will offer a face-to-face interpreter.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to communicate, please let us know. We are able to provide support such as a British Sign Language Interpreter and provide information in an alternative format if this is required.
Using the Google translate feature on our website
It is important you read the information on our website to support you through your maternity journey.
Our website has a Google translate feature which you can use if English is not your first language. By default the Google translate function will not work on our website if you are using a mobile device, as it has only been designed by Google to work effectively on a desktop. If you would like to use it on your mobile device, then you need to change your browser settings to view 'Desktop version'.
Please note this service is a third party service provided by Google, and not all text may be translated accurately and some information might not be able to be translated. The Royal Free London is not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate translations; please refer to Google Translate for more information.
If you have any questions about your care, do not hesitate to speak to your midwife.